• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

The 4-40 brass inserts are easy to install. Just set them on a hard surface, flat side down. Cut the Evergreen tubing a bit longer than required. Then use a small hammer to tap the plastic over the insert until the plastic bottoms out.

The chassis needs to be partially assembled to the point of having the wheels spaced to fit snugly inside the body.

This photo shows the body sitting on the tires without body posts.

Then install the body posts directly to the chassis without washers of any sort.

Test the body fit and trim the posts little by little until you like how the body sits. I often trim the posts until the body sits on the tires again. Then add the washers after for a close fit. It’s the only way to slam a car.

The photo below shows the body posts trimmed to size.

The next step is to prepare the body for the posts. I scuff/scrape/scratch up the area where the epoxy will be applied with a knife.

While the posts are still mounted to the chassis. I apply epoxy to the inside of the body, and a little to the top of the body posts and set the body on the chassis. For me, the tires resting on the body help keep the body level.

You can add equal spacers under both rocker panels if you don’t want to slam your car close to the track.

Here are the body posts after being epoxied in place.

The chassis can be completed for final assembly to the body.

The steel and urethane washers have been added. The body sits very close to the tires, and we have body float. But the tires don’t rub. :good:

A small strip of masking tape is stuck under the chassis to prevent the body screws from backing out. Urethane washers on both sides aren’t enough. They all need tape. You’ll see it on all my builds.

I found the best way to assemble the chassis to the body is… Screw through the chassis first, steel washer next, then urethane washer, to the body post. Lightly snug the screw until it allows the body to wobble ever so slightly. It may loosen up after the first race and require re-adjusting. It should then be good for many races. The urethane washers usually keep the screws and steel washers in place while chassis and body are disassembled for whatever reason.

My first car is still on it’s first set of urethane washers and going strong. Good old Fred Steinbroner in the funny blue Tudor. These urethane washers last a super looooong time. :good:

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.