• This topic has 12 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 days ago by Chris.
  • Creator
    Topic

My first spray booth was the basement kitchen fan with a big cardboard box. Overspray wasn’t an issue since the basement was eventually going to be renovated. I painted about 60+ cars before having to make changes.

After the renovations, I moved the spray area closer to the kitchen window. But the fan was actually higher in the room than the kitchen fan, and was less effective even with a much bigger fan. It moved the smelly air out of the room. But the overspray dust was like a cloud slowly moving to the floor. Let’s just agree that it was a total failure. I painted one or two HO cars, and decided to undo everything. It was either outside, or nothing now.

I needed to use gravity to my advantage. So far it’s been working against me.

I bought a wardrobe box from U-Haul for $19.95. It measures 24″x24″x48″ inches closed. 60″ inches tall with the top flaps open. It barely fits in the shower stall. I installed two 6″ inch vents at the back to evacuate the fumes. A plywood plate was cut to perfectly fit into the window slot. Two 6″ inch metal joiners were glued into the plywood plate for the flexible hose. The shower has a plastic drop-sheet lining the entire thing. You can’t be too safe.

I have hanging lights on both sides so I can see properly.

Blocks were glued to keep the flaps open.

The evacuation vents had to be staggered because they didn’t quite fit beside each other.

When the booth isn’t being used. The plate and flexible ductwork are at rest beside the sink.

It was finished last night. Ted came over with an unpainted Pioneer Mustang today, and the booth is an absolute success. The overspray cloud falls to the bottom of the box. Nothing escapes into the washroom itself except barely a light smell. You can’t smell the fumes outside the washroom door with the door wide open. Perfect.

The power for the booth comes from an old 24″ inch fan. It moves enough air to easily dilute the fumes. I need to watch that I don’t leave it running too long after painting. It removes a lot of warmth from the house very quickly.

Thank you very kindly for looking.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

very clever – well done Ken!

i look for to seeing the booth in operation.
        Chris

No more showers? Oh well, small price to pay for the ability to paint year ’round!!! Looks like a great solution… are you filtering the intake air at all or is it just sucked in from the room?

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

The air comes from the room. If I leave the fan running for a while before painting. It removes much of the ambient dust floating in the air.

I close the door to the basement and watch TV upstairs for 20-minutes. Put on fresh clothing. Then slowly walk to the booth like Kwai Chang Caine on rice paper so as not to kick up dust from the floor. It’s the best I can do.

The “Grasshopper” has done well, and of course, you’re playing your flute as you walk. :>)  Ken has taken the old phrase “Go Big or Go Home”, and accomplished both, he’s gone BIG, and done it at HOME!!! I think you could fit a FIT (Honda) in there. :>)

Thank you very kindly Chris, Art, and Porsche911. A Honda? Lol. 🙂

Chris’s Cylcone was a good first test with a 1/25 scale body. The proof is in how the car came out.

Clear coat is next.

Nicely done!

Just a quick update. The spray booth has been a great success. I invite anyone to bring their car and paint. Feel free to use the booth. Kindly give me some advance notice.

Chris was over today to paint a few bodies. They turned out great!

They do look expertly painted, interesting selections, looks like KRZ colour palate influence….

They’re yours, do what you wish! Perhaps I need to get out of my ‘traditional’ type theme, though I do LOVE then 550 spyder you created Ken in Metallic Blue, BRILLIANT! Me want 1 :>)

Mr. Porsche911. I humbly thank you for your kind words. Just ask, and I’ll paint a 550 Spyder for you. Any colour you like.

I look forward to helping Chris finish his Mirage. It’s a cool looking car. The front body post looks challenging with the windscreen in the path.

Chris B came over last Saturday armed with bodies and paint. He painted all three cars. I was there only for encouragment, and did not paint anything.

Chris is on his way to becoming a great painter! Congrats!

A new 1/32 Hot Rod rises from a cloud of purple fog.

1/32 McLaren.

A 1/25 GTO merely for the sake of practice.

They all came out great! Chris is a pro-painter now.

Warm regards,

Ken

Ken is a great teacher (also a great photographer – able to make a beginner’s work look pretty good!)

i look forward to lesson #3.

Chris

Viewing 11 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.