• This topic has 14 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

Have become inspired with your Indy Roadsters series and thought I would try my hand at one.  Ken your build looks great and will be stunning when finished I am sure. I acquired a couple of Geodies resin models and have started the build process on one using my oodles of free time.  The body weighs 19 grams after carving out the cockpit seat.  The model accurately reflects the wheelbase of 100 inches.  A motor will fit just about in the front portion of the body in front of the cockpit but it will be tight.  The challenge will be to fashion a chassis to align the motor, gearing and guide.  Brass tubing will be used for the front axle mount which will not be attached to the chassis. For the rear maybe the same with the chassis linked in to the brass tubing but need to think that through.  Anyway, thought I would share some pictures and I hope you and your families are all keeping safe.

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

Dave. It’s a great start. There isn’t much room for a front motor drive system. It looks like you set the motor sideways for the pic?

Looking great DB! :good:

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Yes the motor will have to be mounted sideways.  It will move a little further forward and will still leave room for the guide and mounting post. I have cut a chassis from brass with a guide hole and it slips into the space.

That’s a brilliant idea Dave. Sideways mounted front motor drive. Breaking new ground! Cool :good:

Looks good so far Dave!

Things have moved along with the build. I have it running!

The chassis was difficult, particular the rear axle, due to the narrow cavity.  I was able to carve out enough plastic to allow the motor to sit properly.  The motor was epoxied in place .  As you will see it is really only 2/3rds of a chassis as the front axle is free standing. Not pretty but it fits.   A Scaly guide was used.

Latest pictures.  Chassis is in and it runs.  You will notice the chassis is 3/4 length.  I was concerned about fitting the front axle, guide and body mount and motor in such a narrow space, so I separated the front axle from the chassis.  As it is, the motor butts right up against the front body mount.  I have re-sanded the body and applied another coat of paint.  Painted up the driver as well.  Coming along …

This looks amazing Dave! Truly inspirational! The car also looks much better with the proper track width. That front axle is really far forward on the real car. Your build is very accurate. You came up with great way to by-pass the problem.

I’m wondering if I can apply your build method to some of the narrow pre-war cars that won’t fit an aluminum chassis up front? I see smoke rising from my ears when I look in the mirror now. Too much thinking going on. :yahoo:

Thanks Ken. Sorry for the duplicate posts, I will have to wait longer for it to display. Since the post, it has been cleared, steering wheel and driver added. Also, this afternoon I made the suspension rods so will try and fit those before I post again.  Great what lots of time and nothing to do can achieve. :wacko: Hope things are still good with everyone.

Nice work Dave!

Thought I’d post a progress shot of the Parnelli Jones Watson Roaster.

Work continues on the chassis now.

It’s great to see progress on all fronts. Suspension rods? Sweet. :good:

Nice looking car too F1nutz. You should make a separate build thread!

Sorry thought I was posting in the Indy Roadsters are coming thread. Will start a new thread then.

Pulled it all together today except for windshield.

Looks great Dave!

It will be cool to see it run.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.