• Creator
    Topic

As previously announced, see attached photos of the completed model of the 1959 WATSON Roadster Simoniz Special.  This model placed second in the 1959 Indianapolis 500 with Jim Rathmann at the wheel.

This model will be run with a custom built Aluminium chassis.

The BWA ff050 motor is glued into place with epoxy as is the plastic bracket holder for the extended motor arm/shaft and pinion.  A touch of solder was applied to each side of the spring supporting the extended motor shaft.

A photo of the body kit. The parts have all been painted in this photo, including the seat, driver, all silver parts and inserts.  The inserts do not fit the RS slot wheels, Dart inserts will be used instead.

The wheels are RS slot 15x7mm rear and 15x5mm front.  Rear tires are the new Dart D7.5.  The trued diameter is 23.40mm for the rear and 21.2mm for the front.  Track width is 53.65mm rear and 52mm front.

Thanks for looking.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Nice car Jim!!!

It looks ready for the podium. :good:

Looks good JMSracer!

The pilot looks like he is sitting a little high – is that due to a limitation of the interior or of the motor placement?

Can’t wait to see it lap at our first Scratch32 Indy 500 Roadsters event!

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Thanks guys

I did not make any adjustments to the driver, I simply put him into the cockpit as he came with the kit.  In comparison to the photos of the actual car the top of the drivers head is just above the roll bar in one and about level with it in another.  I will be putting both models through a rigorous tuning and testing session and I may adjust them to sit a bit lower.

I’m looking forward to racing these models soon.

I noticed all but the Novi 8V Indy models have been sold out since I posted the link to the Ostorero site.  I assume many in our club have recently acquired a model or two so we should have a diverse field of entry’s at the first event.  Gianluca has advised that he has experienced delays with his suppliers in recent months but hopes that a couple of models will be available some time in September.  He also is completing two new 1940’s model’s of Maserati 8CTF Indycars which he hopes to release in the coming months.

Question. Will this new class be added to our other open wheel classes?

Thanks for the info JMSracer.

FYI: The Indy 500 Roadsters will become a separate event like the Coppa, Targa & Carrera… Our first event will be in early October too…

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Another beauty Jim. Well done!

Need to get back to work on mine.

Viewing 5 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.