• Creator
    Topic

1963 Honda T360 Pick Up

This low cost ARII Owner’s Club model kit found its way to my hobby bench and was adapted/upgraded into a ‘low power’ track utility vehicle for The Ring. Background on the box reads:

Honda was established in 1948, and since then, it kept introducing a lot of famous motor bikes. The model “Honda T360” was the first car that Honda produced. It was called “Sport Truck” rather than “Light Truck”. It was mounted with a 354 cc, 4-carb HOHC engine, and could make the maximum 30 hp. Two months later, “Honda Sport 500” was marketed.

It is tiny (but tall):

• body measures approx. 92mm x 40mm;
    • front and rear track of 39mm;
    • wheelbase of approx. 63mm with guide post set approx. 66mm from rear axle; and
    • weighs approx. 61.2mm (complete).

I kept it cheap by using a DArt guide, BWMS050 motor, 8T BWA pinion, scavenged Scalextric 28T crown gear, piano wire for axles and 1/8″ brass tubing in place of bushings. In its finished form it is smooth and quiet but for my taste would still benefit with a 10T pinion – which it may get yet – time will tell…

Since pictures are ‘worth a 1000 words’ here are some pictures of this build. You will note I first planned to use styrene clamps to fix the rear of the body to the rear axle sleeves but bailed on that plan for a more reliable method. A rear frame made from piano wire covered by tissue paper soaked in a solution of H2O and white glue (as suggested by f1nutz) plus DArt fog lamps were later added to this model. Several parts were extensively modified as the pictures indicate. I used navy blue tent repair tape to cover the sides of exposed motor and some scrap patio umbrella fabric (painted with a dark wash) courtesy of Porsche911 as mud flaps to cover the crown gear.

It is fun building something that isn’t meant to race… Cheers!

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Art,

Nice “slot-truck”.  Probably the only one like it on the planet. It’s original.

Ken

What a great looking little truck. :good:

Neat job of mounting chassis to body. You mention that you bailed on the idea of using styrene clamps at the rear. Is that what I see in the photos or did you switch to some other method??

Good looking mud flaps!! B-)

Cheers MiA! I bailed on the two clamps around the rear axle sleeves and moved to use a single piece split styrene tube attached to the rear of the chassis. One of the photos shows the plastic body frame with the single styrene tube. I’ve used this method with several of my pre-war builds too.

I saw the picture of that tube but didn’t see it in use and didn’t realize it had taken the place of the 2 axle clamps.

Did the axle version provide too much lateral movement, or what was the issue with it? I used a tube in one of my pre-war cars and am hoping to use something similar in the 550 build rather than the screw mounts. B-)

Great looking truck though!! A worthy addition to your growing group of track maintenance vehicles. :yahoo:

The axle clamps were too flimsy and one was already fatiguing so it was going to fail – likely just as Herr ‘One Eye’ Berger was speeding around the sweeper on his way to a call – and with very ugly consequences! Better safe than sorry!

Can’t wait to see your 550 build – will it be ready in time for the Meistershaft?

Looks Great!!

Even better in person

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.