• Creator
    Topic

I found a few links that folks might find interesting when building the car. It is not a slot car build but won first place at the 2016 IPMS Nationals in SC.

Parnelli Jones’s 1963 Indy 500 Winning Watson Roadster – Cars, Trucks, & Motorcycles – IPMS/USA Forums (ipmsusa3.org)

The second link is of a Facebook page (embedded in first link), with step by step pictures with comments when you click on the picture. I guess you need to be on FB to see.  The interesting thing I liked is it helped locating where bits go plus it identified the paint colors to use for the Watson Livery.

Don’t know if it is helpful to anyone but I found it helped me.

My model is coming along.  I am going for a Watson Livery.  Mica Blue nose and White Pearl body, a little ambitious for me but what the heck.  I ordered decals and a paint mask to help me along.  The chassis I built 18 months ago for a STP Nova body but was never happy with the body.  It fits the Watson with minimal adjustments. The chassis wheelbase is a touch long (1/4inch) as you will notice in the picture.   So far the car is primed, interior glued in and driver fitted but not glued nor detail painted.

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

A few pictures after painting the nose and side stripes.  Decals should cover the bit of bleed on the hood.  DART tires … 7.5 on rear and 7s on the front.

Looking great so far DB!!! 🙂

What gearing are you using? Have you noticed that the D7.5 urethane rear tires have opened up more gearing possibilities for the BWMS050? I have a 10T pinion and 27T crown in mine and think that I’ll still need to add some teeth to my crown or drop a tooth in my pinion (or both) – either way 2.7 is too low I’m finding…

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

I am using a 10/24 gearing but haven’t tested it since I fitted the D7.5s.  So I will have to pay attention to that. I could go with a 28 or 29.  Thanks for the heads up.  Been putting the decals on this past weekend.

Almost there.  Just need to clear and then add the windscreen.  Then the fine tuning starts.

That looks great DB! Do you have any pictures of the chassis that you could share with us?

Cheers

Steve

Wow! Spectacular job DB! Really nice finish on that one. Well done.

Fantastico!!! Love the decals too!

Thanks guys.  Got  it cleared and windscreen added now.  Steve, I will post some pics of the chassis.

That turned out beautiful.  Rufus would be proud!

Finished other than for testing. Steve, chassis pictures attached.

Looks great DB! I’m so happy that you added the extra bits & pieces in the kit such as the rear suspension detail as well as the shifter linkage etc.  Did you have any trouble adding the windshield or was it straightforward to do?

Thank you also for sharing the pictures of your chassis – I see no reason why it shouldn’t be quick, but you may need to play with the gearing a little… but time will tell…

Awesome!

Thanks Art. I found the windscreen straight forward to add. It was a good fit but you have to be careful with the gorilla glue and then placement.

That red white and blue color scheme epitomizes the look and feel of an Indy Roadster. The car looks great. Thanks for the chassis pics DB, they really show off all the engineering and building skills required for this class of racing. I have to try my hand at a brass and wire front motor chassis too. There is so much going on in so little space. I think  if I can pull it off  it should really help my building skills. After all it looks like I’ll have the time now.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve.  My approach was that I drew a template of the indy car cavity, made sure the measurements were correct and a tich under.  Then I bent a peice of wire into the shape of that cavity, the curve being at the rear. Then I cut brass plates to fit and soldered. Fairly quickly you get a base chassis that fits the Indy cavity. I have used this method before on a pre war buggati with brass wire as it bends easily. I am not a very good chassis builder but found this method helped me move forward quite well.  Encourage you to give it a try.

Very nice build DB, I am working on mine, looking at others work is a big help, could you tell me where did you order the decals from?

Thank You

Dave,

Looks great! 🙂

Luis, I got them from indycal in the US.  They were $8 US plus $2 for a paint mask (recommend you get one as it helps greatly in painting the nose).  Standard postage was $2 US.  They arrive in 7-10 days.

https://indycal.net

Thanks Ken.

Excellent!!! Looks like our entire field of cars will have the same livery!!!

Thank You DB for the information about the decals, once I have mine ready I will post some pictures

Viewing 17 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.