• This topic has 16 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Avatar photoPorsche911.
  • Creator
    Topic

Lots of discussion prior to the pandemic led to the beginning of an Indy Roadster class using a low power motor in an inline front motor configuration. In that spirit this is my build based on a 1:32 AMT kit for a 1963 Watson Special. This kit was the foundation for the DArt body kit which is what I am using for this build.

The original kit and all of the parts, including decals:

The DArt body kit which will be used:

First things first – sorting out the wheels and tires. I opted to use RS Slot 15x7mm (14x7mm) insert wheels with DArt D7.5 tires mounted front and back. I trued down the fronts a little smaller. The rears were trued to a diameter of 25mm and the fronts to 23.3mm… I used the setup blocks as pictured when setting up my jig.

Now time to start on the chassis using assorted piano wire and brass pieces… 

This is my version of a two piece rotating torsion chassis. The motor is an extension of the rear end of the chassis even though it sits above the front section. A separate piece of piano wire wrapped around the guide tube will hold the two halves together after I solder the tips in place just ahead of the rear end.

Now that the basic chassis is complete – you can see it has stubs for the front wheels – we can begin assembly, starting with the motor and driveshaft. Lots of trial fitting went into positioning the braces that will hold the motor shaft extension bushing. I only want to barely touch that bushing with my soldering iron to fix it in place after the motor is installed for the final time – then carefully clean away any acid flux and oil liberally.

Time to trial fit the shell.

I chose not to offset the body (or chassis) since we’ll be running these on road courses.

I’m happy with the overall stance of this chassis and body so time to trial fit the interior to provide clearance for the drive shaft/pinion. I hope to conceal the driveshaft under the pilot’s left leg but I may need to improvise… we’ll see… stay tuned!

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

That’s one fancy piece of engineering Art. Clever solution for mounting the motor to allow both a front motor layout and a torsion chassis. By the way what are you using to couple the motor shaft to the drive shaft?

Cheers

Steve

Thanks racer68!

Necessity is the mother of invention and since I had no springs nor brass tubing I used styrene drilled out to accommodate (albeit very tightly) the motor shaft… for low power motors which will not be abused this should be fine but time will tell… I didn’t glue it – just pressure fit – so if it slips I can still try gluing it… I could barely push it on and couldn’t pull it off – that’s how tight it is on…

Nice build so far!

BTW, I’ve gone to just under 54mm in track width… I can always go narrower but as per our rules discussion 54mm seems to be the mark…

I would strongly encourage anyone using D7 or smaller diameter tires to go to a larger diameter tire (such as the D7.5) if you can… just a suggestion…

The build looks great.  It has the “look” of a 1:1 tube frame chassis of the  era.

Gary

Received three different livery decals from IndyCals last week: 

Also ordered the masking template for the #98 to see what that was all about and the Firestone tire decal sheet too…

Since I’ve never used IndyCals before I’m not sure yet how delicate they are but I’ll do the tires first to sort that out… I can’t wait to order more – I just wish they had white Ferrari numbers on a sheet, not just specific numbers for a few liveries…

A hearty thank you to Luis for the inspiration to order these decals and to everyone who pushed this class along the way. It has been a few years but patience rewards!!!

Anyone wishing to order their own IndyCals click here.

Now it’s time to get busy!!!

They are great decals. My Matra has Indycals and I was very happy with the quality. The only complaint I would have is I wish he had added the other teammate car number to give more options.

For this build I chose the IndyCals 1964 #1 A.J. Foyt Thompson Special decal set. I agree – they are quite good – crisp and easy to cut/apply – but I wish the transitions from light to dark on the blue and white stripes were smooth and not hatched/posterized, and were in more vivid colour (nothing that a good clear coat can’t bring out…). It would have been helpful for my application if IndyCals included duplicates of the small sponsor badges for the left side of the shell too…

So here it is…

We managed to get a full driver in the cockpit too!!! The decals are good, but not enough were supplied for both sides so I needed to improvise with decals I already had…  so be it. Over all I am happy with this build and as tested at SPA a month back it runs really nice…

Art,

Wow! Amazing attention to detail and accuracy!

It will also win the beauty contest hands-down.

Awesome!

Cheers Gents!

A few more pictures of the completed car: 

Some Watson Roadsters had a new life as Super Modified race cars ( raced mostly in the Southern Ontario  and North East US) once the Rear Engine revolution took hold.   Believe it or not, this car was a Watson that I believe Roger Ward use to run.  I had the pleasure of seeing this race car in action at the old Pinecrest Speedway north of Toronto.   This image was taken at Oswego Speedway in New York state, home of the Super Modifieds.

Looks great Art!

As all your builds another great looking one plus it is nice that we have a bunch of different liveries for this class.

I think I can see AJ spittin tabacca going into turn 2 at the Brickyard!! Another amazing creation.

Viewing 14 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.