• Creator
    Topic

I was fortunate enough to get 2-unbuilt Corvair kits at the same time. The best of everything from the two went to Art. I’m building this one as a test. This one was missing the front bumper, which isn’t really an issue for a Corvair race car. Art has the front bumper to make complete Corsa kits.

The paint is Testors “Star Spangled Blue”. The colour on lid looks great. The nonsense coming out of the can is another thing altogether. :negative:

More to follow…

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

Still debating stipping the paint and starting over. The chassis is machined.

Excellent as usual Ken! Leave the paint alone – you don’t always need to outdo yourself every time! :good: Besides, you can build a second, a third or even a fourth one now!

Looking forward to seeing the finished model regardless of the colour!

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Test fitting the chassis to the body. It will be raised a millimeter or two from where it sits now. Lowering it until the tires touch the inside of the body while glueing in the body posts keep it lined up with the chassis. I raise the body and/or move the wheels in after the posts are in. Perfect body alignment every time.

The hubcaps are there just for the photo. This car is getting American 5-spokes.

Nice! Those are the 450″ inserts that will be included with the DArt kit – 375 inserts are yet to be determined so feedback is appreciated, but we are leaning to the minilite – of course for the 11.82mm diameter wheels that are available with the pre-order option out right now…

Great work Ken!

Cheers! :good:

Art. Thank you very kindly for your encouragement! 🙂

If you know you can do better. It’s hard to accept less from yourself.

I can’t compete with you, Chris Walker, or many other builders out there. It’s all about personal bests for me. This was not a personal best.

But as you reminded me. It’s only one in a swarm of Stingers. Maybe a coat of wax might help?

Cheers!

Your enthusiasm keeps the rest of us going. It would be nice to hear from others and what they are building… especially while we are doing the socially responsible thing…

This website, DArts and the new eSHOP really need and appreciate the support of those who are building. Thank you Ken for your encouragement.

Anyone who hasn’t ordered anything from the new DArts eSHOP I hope will give it a try. I’ve had nothing but positive feedback from those who have so far.

This one looks interesting for some reason. Might be the F1 rear tires. :yahoo:

Getting closer to the finish line.

The Corvair is completed. I thought #65 would be good number for a car from 1965. The driver… Don Yenko. Who else?

The front windshield was separated from the back window in an attempt to get the glass to sit better.

The angle of the rear valance panel that sports the cool looking grills under the rear bumper was a bit off so, I sanded it down to lay back under the car a bit. I also had to clip the body support tabs to position it better.

Thank you very kindly for looking.

I can’t wait to build another!!! :yahoo:

The Corvair was tested today. All I can say is… :yahoo:

Very cool, Ken.

Thank you very kindly DB.

Just about everyone in the club has ordered one of these from Art. Soon to become the Corvair Club of Canada (CCC).

A few members may have ordered more than one. 🙂

Nice build Ken!

How is your gear mess with that 15T NSR pinion and the 26 Crown?  Silent or whiny ?

Hi Jim.

Thank you very kindly. 🙂

It’s 13×26, or exactly 2:1 ratio. It’s silent as a whisper. But somewhat unproven yet. I don’t have a track. The first race will tell me what’s up.

I’ll set up a test session with you over the next week.

So it’s the red pinion…, I thought it was the orange…

Jim. Thanks a million! 🙂

Anonymous

Nice build Ken! How is your gear mess with that 15T NSR pinion and the 26 Crown? Silent or whiny ?

Hi Jim, as long as the gear pitch is  close to .5 module,  on both pinion and Crown (or Spur) , tooth count is irrelevant.  It is when manufacturers try to jam too many teeth into a fixed dia. that mesh issues arise. In order to have a fixed diameter gear with differing tooth counts the manufacturers must alter the tooth profile, and , therefore pitch. At a certain point, this will affect the “acceptable” pitch, resutling in poor mesh.To keep an acceptable (close to .5 module pitch) , higher tooth count gears need to be of a larger diameter, which Kens’ is, so mesh should be just fine.

In an inline configuration, you can use any diameter pinion diameter you choose, but, only a 5.5mm pinion will allow the use of the motor shaft as a centering mechanism.

Here is a little conversion “thingie” that will allow you to calculate the “perfect” tooth count for any .5 module pinion/spur. (Crowns all use different diameters for their individual tooth counts, and as such are all “perfect”

Take the diameter of the gear (pinion or spur) and multiply x 2……..then subtract 2…….the resulting number will be the perfect tooth count for a .5 module gear.

eg……..

A 5.5mm pinion x2 = 11 – 2 = 9………..the perfect .5 module tooth count for a 5.5mm pinion is 9.

On pinions you can generally go up or down 1 tooth from “perfect” so an 8 or 10 tooth 5.5mm pinion will work just fine……any more either way, and you will have issues.

The same calculation works for all .5 module pinions, and Spur gears……..on Spur gears, 2 to 3 teeth either way from “perfect” is generally acceptable.

Cheers

Chris Walker

Anonymous

Hi Jim. Thank you very kindly. :-) It’s 13×26, or exactly 2:1 ratio. It’s silent as a whisper. But somewhat unproven yet. I don’t have a track. The first race will tell me what’s up.

Hi Ken, Nice job !!……………while the mesh may be good, I strongly suspect that you will be changing the ratio after testing…….2:1 is more than a push for these motors………2.3:1 seems to be the limit for best overall performance, especially on anything weighing 60 gms +.

In addition to hampering acceleration and braking, not allowing a motor to spin as designed, reduces its efficiency, which will reduce the length of its “best performance” lifespan.

Cheers

Chris Walker

Hi Chris. I humbly thank you for your kind words. I also appreciate your wisdom and experience.

It’s just the newbie in me seeing how far I can go before the power curve falls flat on its face. I’m probably already there as you noted.

Like… how much compression can we get out of her before she grenades!?! :yahoo:

I have several gears in standby to increase the ratio. :good:

Chris,

Thank you for your input.  Great information and much appreciated!

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.