• This topic has 13 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

The Corvair got a bad rap from Ralph Nader. Real Corvair owners all say that they did not experience whatever Ralph Nader was talking about. Some people say he was referring to the “hammer” effect of having a rear engine car. Exactly like a Porsche. Which no American car had before it.

A Chevrolet dealership by the name of “Yenko” made a bunch of special Corvair Corsa’s. They were very fast. They went by the name “Yenko Stingers”.

Aurora made a very nice static model of the 1965 Corvair Corsa with the flat-6. But there is only one, single, solitary kit on Ebay, and it’s been there for the last year. And he just recently went from $150 USD, to $125 USD.  Still far too much money.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Aurora-Corvair-Corsa-1-32-Scale-Plastic-Model-Kit-666-130/254550866928?hash=item3b4469fbf0:g:89YAAOSw~wRecNYr

Then out of the blue I happened to locate one. The box looks new and sparkles. The kit inside is new and perfect.

This 1965 Chevrolet Corvair Corsa is far more rare than a Rover BRM. Before I run off and build this ultra rare kit for SCCA. Does this car spark any interest to make a copy?

Just asking before the point of no return…

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

Racing Sports Cars has documentation showing the 1965 Corvair in SCCA races, and various endurance races.

Legal for both S32 and R32 Sports Car, and SCCA. :good:

As it turns out Ralph was correct! But you had to be pushing one quite hard and back off/brake very  abruptly to get get one to unload on you!! Fortunately I had had some seat time in the mother of rear engined cars with my dad riding  shotgun as he tutored me in ‘trailing throttle oversteer’, before a Corsa tried to end my young career. Fortunately for me you could catch it if you knew what was happening. Still have vivid memories of that ‘S’ curve going into Point Anne.:wacko:

If a kit is made I’d buy one. It would be a burgundy convertible. More than a few interesting memories there.

Just a quick calculation. $125 USD = 164.00 Cdn.

I stand corrected. Here’s another 1/32 Corvair Corsa. It’s only $222.92 plus $28.31 shipping from Spain for a total of $251.23 USD ($329.16 Canadian). But… it comes with a K&B slot car chassis.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FN-k-b-aurora-3254-Corvair-Corsa-1-32-Excellent-Condition-Unboxed/153407078905?hash=item23b7c641f9:g:58sAAOSwZttbn~KO

The point of this thread is… I located a Corvair kit for a song. I would like to share my find with the club. If anyone is interested in getting a copy of this body? Please chime in. Just curious if there is any interest?

If I’m the only nut that likes 1965 Corvairs = Yenko Stingers? The right thing to do is make the kit, and enjoy the slot car. :good:

Always LOVED the Corvair; had a chance to buy 1, way back when I was 18…forget the model but recall it was turbocharged, then spied a Porsche 914 at Heimrath, but in the end, my pocketbook only afforded a somewhat tricked out CB 550…. I’ve looked for 1 of these models for a while, and yes, fairly unobtanium..Copy would be sweet!! :yahoo:

Thank you very kindly for speaking up Porsche911 and MiA.

The red Corvair is turbo-charged. Care of Barrett-Jackson. 🙂

The Corvair body weighs 11-grams. The wheelbase is 86 mm. Track width is approx 52mm from the outside of the tires. The body measures 55mm wide. This is a sweet slot car platform.

Porsche911 and MiA. You have chosen wisely.

The Stinger will soon be the car to beat! Have you been stung yet? :yahoo:

I am in as well, I would gladly buy a copy of it. Thank You Ken for sharing

Thank you kindly Luis. You’re on the list.

D’Art Hobbies has decided to release their first 2-door hardtop. It’s a go.

This is a video of Jay Leno showing everyone his Yenko Stinger. You can eat off the trunk floor. Enjoy!

Choices, choices, choices… I’m leaning towards the blue one with white stripes.

They all look good.  What’s your favourite colour…

You can pull straws or assign each colour a number and roll dice to decide, unless you can find a three sided coin to flip 😉

Thank you for the inspiration Ken. Cheers! :good:

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Art. It was my pleasure. Now I can make one in every colour if I wish.

Umm… The green one looks nice too! :yahoo:

Viewing 11 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.