• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

This period fantasy livery uses a DArt body kit and will have a scratch built chassis underneath mounted using one screw/body post behind the front axle and two clips for wire uprights just behind the molded tailpipe shell detail. Who better a pilot to place in this unreliable rocket than the other Polish Prince (not Marek) – Tony Adamowicz!

After applying a dark green base coat and fixing the mounting post/clips we were ready for the next step – decals.

29 of the 34 decals used were printed using my standard inkjet printer and coated with two coats of Krylon Crystal Clear (as I do with all of the decals I make). Regarding the five store bought decals used – three were rectangular Monogram white blank number plates with a black pinstripe border and two were Pattos Ferrari badge decals – in hindsight I was disappointed with both the opacity and misaligned pin stripe on the white blank Monogram number plates (but it gives the model character) and should have just printed my own along with the Pattos Ferrari badges since I am really not a fan of their low resolution. Nevertheless the project turned out just fine. The decals will be left to dry for a few days and after some cleaning up the body will be ready for two clear coats (yet to be determined), then some detail painting and a dark wash. I haven’t decided if I want to paint or decal the spoiler orange yet… no rush… …stay tuned!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Well, its been a few months now and so time to get off the pot. I polished away all of the ‘vinegar’ marks that appeared around some of the decals where we used extra Micro Set to get them to lie flat with Tamiya polish… When the paint finally looked clean I got the remaining dust off – I used my compressor with a fine nozzle to spray any dust away. I then left the body hanging upside down in my paint booth while I prepared the can of Tamiya TS-13 – A perfect match for the base coat of green. Obviously you need to have something mounted to a body post or glued to the underside of the body – like a styrene tube or a stick with clamps… I heated up the can/paint in a sink using the hottest water from my tap – I let the can sit in the centre of the drain to block/slow the water flow. After the water reached half way up the can I turned off the tap and let the water drain slowly until it was gone. I left the cap on the can throughout. I got a small towel, and after the hot water drained I took the can out and wrapped it in the towel and shook it all about for 5 minutes or so. I immediately sprayed the body with one quick coat everywhere. After 3 minutes I sprayed a slightly heavier coat everywhere again. I then took the body to a warm lamp where it could dry upside down while hanging from a hook. I couldn’t have asked for a better result – all of our home made decals were perfect – and now everything was sealed permanently – and shiny.

This will be one of the shells used in our detailing session on Monday. I have a McLaren M12 with a Castrol livery which we will also use time permitting.

I decided to build the chassis next – then finish the detailing…

Here’s the sidewinder chassis using a Fox 10 motor: 

The way the body was mounted is convenient – but not optimal for performance – regardless it needs to be finished – so it was… DArt inserts were painted then weathered… here are some macro shots to help with the rest of the body detail – showing how things really look better than the naked eye can discern is most helpful – although not the most flattering…There is more room to lower or slam the body to the chassis but doing so wouldn’t reflect the reality of how it raced.

Radiator detail from an electronic device kept before being thrown away or recycled was fixed in place using epoxy… Tony Adamowicz was a famous Polish American race car driver who helped establish the PRDA – Polish Race Driver’s Association – and wore a white full face helmet (as soon as they became available) with only his name and the PRDA logo affixed. This model is a fantasy livery with Tony as the pilot. I didn’t have a PRDA logo printed so I used a Lotus black and white logo (upside down I think) to suggest the PRDA logo… it looks very close… for the mirror I cut off the plastic post, replaced it with a thin wire (drilled a hole into the base of the mirror to make it durable) and painted the whole bezel with Krylon Crystal Clear – then I hand painted the mirror portion a dark grey – and then dipped the whole mirror into Pledge acrylic floor polish to seal it… The same was done to the roll bar….Nothing was done with the front lower valence – it could be painted or removed but I didn’t… I added a Citadel Nuln Oil wash to several portions of the body to add realism… Body panel lines were also highlighted with the same wash… The same wash was also added to the pilots body – especially to his legs The tailpipes and transmission detail were painted – also with Tamiya acrylics – and weathered with more Citadel wash… Tail lamps were done the same way.

All done.

Not a bad looking CANAM model now that it is done – and it is very fast too. Cheers Tony! 

Art,

Beautiful work! It’s another stunning build!  :good:

The 612 is not one of my favorite body styles. :whistle: But looks like it will corner on a dime and give back 9-cents change!  :yahoo:

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.