• Creator
    Topic

Despite the fact that our regional governments were recently ambushed and are scrambling with no coherent plan to immunize, our Ontario government passed the buck while deferring to regional medical officers in their ivory towers, and our fearless entitled drama queen Justin spouts more bullshit while ensuring he stands by our country last in G7 and worse than 40th in global vaccines to date I hope – I sincerely hope – we’ll be safe by later this year. Given our government’s track record now I don’t believe I’ll receive a vaccine until next winter. I hope the rest of you remain more optimistic – at least for your own sanity… as such…

An outdoor track may be the only place we might race safely later this year/fall.

Help me with your suggestions as far as how many lanes, how long, how easily transported – I guess I’m asking how many of you might participate on a strictly outdoor venue/track later this summer and fall. If proxy participation is anything to go by I am happy not to waste my time – but again I must ask.

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

I can bring a 10′ x 10′ sun shade to help with the elements. It goes up and tears down in a few minutes.

I also have a 4′ x 8′ trailer that can carry 1-ton of slot car track. And a few slot cars.

Are we going totally off the grid and using a car battery for power? No shortage of amps. Might burn out a few cars.

Seems we’re getting closer and closer to bringing a tent, sleeping bag, and camping out with the frogs in the pond. :good:

It sounds like an inviting idea considering today’s limitations, I have enough space on my backyard, outdoor power and some outdoor lighting I also have a bathroom in a small shed that I have in the back (of course with a espresso/cappuccino machine ) so it could be an alternative for one  of the racing nights

On a second thought I could take the cars out and we use the garage (it fits more than one Smart car), I think is big enough it has lights, power a portable a/c ( and again of course we can bring the coffee machine) and we do not have to worry about rain, heat or bugs

Certainly agree with the sentiments in your words.  At some point, the silent majority will speak very loudly about the shenanigans.

I think an outdoor track is the only way to go continue any form of racing. I can’t see myself having folks over to race in my basement for quite some time, maybe never.

My thoughts on a track.  A 3 lane track would be the norm subject to space limits though there wouldn’t have to be scenery areas.  A 2 lane would provide more footage in the same space and require adjustment as to how we might race – rally mode, time trials.   A module approach could be considered with a core central section which allows the addition of  longer or short straights based on location.  I know many UK slot car clubs have their layout in sections which are put together for the evening and then dismantled.  But usually, the sections are stored at the same location.

I would participate in your outdoor track events subject to the obvious caveats regarding social safety for everyone.

This company offers a modular design that can be put together different ways.

I would imagine the sections could be made from routed 4 x 4 plastic sheets to prevent the elements from affecting it.

https://www.mrslotcar.com/mr-trax

Very interesting site with quick fold-out designs too.

Can’t imagine why anyone would think that the current levels of government are incompetent or trying to pass off responsibility?? :scratch: There must be full time departments whose sole purpose is to come up with plausible ‘spin’ that strives to keep ‘us’ happy and provide ‘them’ with plausible deniability!! Perhaps we’ll all forget before the next elections roll around?? 😥

I’m as anxious as anyone for things to return to some sort of ‘new normal’, but since the events required for this to happen are well beyond my sphere of influence I’ll probably just stay hunkered down until myself and a vast majority of the population have been inoculated. It’s been over a year now and hopefully it will happen within the next year.

I’ve missed the last two proxies because, among other reasons, I had hoped to have new cars built for them (still have two on the go :wacko: ) so hopefully for any next ones I’ll just resort to running what is already done (although new cars remain a stretch goal).

As for an outdoor track, it’s an interesting idea -and I applaud anything that might allow us to race again- but even if time, space and energy were to make one a reality it would probably require closer contact than might be prudent until the virus episode has run it’s course. So, I hope that it’s not too long before we can safely get back together again on the tracks we already enjoy. :good:

I’ll be happy to race in or outdoors when gatherings of 3 or more are permitted again and happy to host indoors as well…

Regarding the outdoor suggestion; 1, 2, or 3 lanes.  Plastic, MDF or other,  I’m flexible and easy to please with very low expectations ;-).

I have lots of new builds completed between March 2020 and September 2020.  Looking forward to racing front motor Indy GP cars first, which was a class we started in 2019 but not mentioned lately….

I’m not sure about the details of doing an outdoor race but Luis has very generously mentioned that he has a place where a bathroom would be available and that would go a long way to convincing me to participate . I look forward to when we can race again but the pandemic has been difficult for my family and I think continued caution is warranted. My aunt got very ill with Covid and developed kidney failure and  my cousin Nick died. Tele-funerals are a sad and surreal thing. Scarborough has been particularly hard hit and I think the vaccines are our best hope right now, people don’t seem to have either the personal discipline or the sense of shared fate that would help us out of this before they arrive in bulk.

I’ve been working a little on the Indy roadster class and inspired by Colin John over at Group 25’s facebook page I’ve even slowly been learning fusion 360 in order to be able to make custom chassis for  my roadsters. My current 3D printer is a malevolent toy that is not large enough to print an entire chassis but I’ve been experimenting with ff050 motor pods and shaft supports and I thought I’d share this picture of my current iteration.

the pod in the foreground should meet the criteria for motor placement, the one behind is a few millimeters too short. They both fit the motor very securely without the need of screws or glue. The parts have been designed to work with standard size Scalextric or Carrera bushings or their bronze equivalents. I’ve been using PLA to print and as it is not as strong as the ABS  or Nylon that a manufacturer might use so I’ve had to make  some compromises in design to make up for its relative fragility. It is stiff and very light. The whole chassis without fittings will weigh just under 6 grams! I hope you are all well and if we can’t race ’em it least we can build ’em!

Cheers

Steve

I like where you are going with the front motor pods Racer68! No motor bracket needed now, snap fit, ready to add to any chassis with an adhesive or inline piano wire (or both)… excellent!!! Let us know what these components morph into!

Regarding the outdoor racing/track – it might make more sense that instead of transporting the same track everywhere that those perhaps without a wood track or those that might wish to experiment with something in addition to what they already have indoors might consider trying their hand at making or commissioning their own small track which could be used whenever the opportunity arises and when not in use could be stored conveniently in an out of the way place, such as the garage, shed, storage room or rafters…

I do have an idea/design for a one piece 5′ x 11′ (x 14″ high) super lightweight laminated 3 lane fully scenerized track which when not in use could be lifted up easily (by a pair of adults) and hung up on ceiling or wall (like a bicycle hanging down or parallel to the floor such as above a car parked in a garage) or just placed on its side on the floor… two or three lightweight folding horses would support the track when in use… timing hardware, the wiring harness and pilot stations would be attached to the lightweight frame… performance would be identical to any of the tracks I’ve already built – copper tape, 1/4″ deep slot, flat latex painted surface… when in use just plug in your separate power supply and your old laptop for timing and scoring. This way any models built and raced on any of our existing wood tracks would perform identically on this one… not just a great personal test track but one which could host racing (indoors, inside a garage or outside when the weather cooperates) too!

I’m working on another track right now but I’d be happy to start on a project like this one in May if anyone might be interested… planning and ordering materials and components ahead of time is key so the earlier the better… :good:

I like the idea. Anyone with a nice finished garage and proper lighting could easily move the car outside and set up a track for an evening.

There’s always this option…

Haha…

Cool Carrera digital layout with pit lanes!  We began with a Carrera digital set years ago and my son tells me he wants it back.  This is well planned and someone has put a lot of effort in to set it up and must obviously have to take it down after each use.  I can’t see how it can be left exposed to the elements, the garden needs sun and to be watered.  It consumes at least half of the front yard, so I’m inclined to believe the owner is either a bachelor or this is a frat house ;-).

Perfect timing, I needed a late afternoon break and watching this was just the ticket.

Thanks for posting F1nutz.

Iirc the rails on Carrera track are stainless so they are a little more resistant to minor weather than other brands.

Glad you like it. I got a kick out of it as well.

Carrera digital was my start too – I made a fully scenerized painted two lane track in my garage which was switchable both digital and analogue… with track sets and extra track that I bought from Panther Hobbies. I bought my first two NEGATIVE polarity PM controllers for that track from Ernie at Raceworld… and held the first and only Tschinkel Kringle… I am forever indebted to Ron B. and Marek P. [Ferrari1950] of SRO for introducing me to slot racing on wood in the 2000’s…

This summer may very well be the summer of outdoor racing…

Stay well.

Looking ahead to this summer/fall outdoor racing may be the only comfortable and safest option when restrictions are lifted.

I estimate that an outdoor 4 lane routed track which can be broken down into 3 or 4 portable sections covered by portable canopies would cost:

• $325 in wood based materials including mdf, select pine boards, collapsible legs/horses, finished hardboard;
                • $150 in hardware/fasteners;
                • $75 for paint, sealers, adhesives and caulking;
                • $220 in copper tape, wiring & connectors;
                • $715 in Trackmate deadstrip timing electronics, relay, driver stations, track call buttons, small power supply and shipping;
                • $300 for two portable canopies;

So the cost to make such a track would amount to approximately $1,785 before labour, consumables such as router bits, blades and brushes, the cost of delivery (for everything but the Trackmate hardware), and the cost of a suitable TV/monitor and notebook computer. It also does not include any scenery. By my estimation labour alone would amount to $3,500…

Please email me your suggestions on how we could get this project off the ground, assuming it makes any sense to do in the first place…

I love the idea of a portable track. I have a few concerns.

1) Doesn’t matter how much you prepare for rain. Everything made of wood will get soaked at some point. Being severely affected by humidity is just a matter of time.

2) MDF and hardboard weigh a ton. Transportation and set-up will be back-breaking. Especially if it gets wet.

I would like to own a smaller version that would be lightweight, easy to set up, and 100% water resistant.

Maybe make it flat? Simple? No rises, hills, and/or swoops? 3-lanes?

Like good spaghetti. I’m throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks. An outdoor track looks like a great idea. But unexplored territory. I’m all in to see the suggestions.

We have time for some tests. Let’s take small pieces of various painted track material suggestions and let is sit out in the rain/sun before buying MDF.

Track building is jumping by leaps and bounds these days. This is an example of the latest routed plastic HO tracks. This would instantly take HO racing outdoors. I might build something like this for my HO cars down the road. I’m not saying do this for 1/32. But let this inspire what ever we build.

Ken

Don’t want to rain on the outdoor track idea but it seems like a huge investment in time, energy and money for what might be a short term solution.
                  I for one would also need use of bathroom facilities which would somewhat negate the outdoor aspect unless the host was ok with ‘outdoor facilities use’ 😉

With the vaccines being rolled out, however slowly, I’m cautiously optimistic we might start returning to ‘normal’ sooner rather than later.
                  If in-house racing is the issue then venues like MVL, Racehaven and even Ernie’s new track could be considered as ‘outside’ locations which might help keep vulnerable family members less at risk while still allowing us to start a racing season at some point in the summer.

just my 2cents

I agree with all the points made by Ken and F1nutz.

It’s too early to tell if any gatherings would be permitted, neighbours may not like the idea until we are given a green light….  If and when gatherings are permitted, we can cross this bridge.  As I have previously indicated, I would host an indoor race.  According to the CDC guidelines, all that are vaccinated can gather two weeks after the second shot.  It depends on each individuals risk tolerance and whether they or the people that they are in close contact with are immunocompromised.  We could all wear masks and take measures.  I look forward to when we can continue according to our new normal…

FYI – Building material costs have skyrocketed, an 8 foot 2 x 4 is now $10 plus (was $2, 2 years ago) and a sheet of regular plywood that was $20, is now $94.  If the outdoor track is the only viable outcome down the road, the costs presented should be double checked…  There is an outdoor plywood material that is four times the cost of a sheet of regular plywood the last time I used this product.  The cost now might be outrageous but you can soak this material in a tub of water for a month with zero effect.

Viewing 17 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.