• Creator
    Topic

Hi Gents:

I have been interested in this car for its appearance and its history.  I’ve had the Airfix kit in my eBay shopping cart for a while, but have decided that I can’t afford it. I’m posting it here in case someone else may be interested in it.

It’s the Airfix 8204, 1933 MG K3 Magnette. It is listed at $35 usd, but it’s shipped through eBay’s ‘Global Shipping Program’. This redirects the package from the seller, to a third party facility in Erlanger, KY (often in the opposite direction to the purchaser’s destination), apparently re-packages it then ships it to the purchaser. They also tack on an import charge ‘to cover duties’. In fact, model kits, diecast models, slotcars are all categorized as toys by the Canada Border Services Agency and do not require duties or excise fees, (though they can trigger GST, usually collected by Canada Post). There have also been many complaints from sellers and buyers regarding poor handling, damaged and missing packages at the Erlanger facility. It’s basically another scheme to allow eBay to skim off more money from the purchaser. I have always refused, on principle, to buy anything shipped through their GSP.

It looks like a nice kit for our pre-war series, but I don’t know the quality. I have found some of the Airfix kits made in England to be excellent, whereas some others have been terrible in terms of moulding and casting. (This one is made in Texas by USAirfix, and is the 1980 re-box edition.)  It is listed at $35 usd (C$50), plus $10.50 ship to Canada, but when you go to buy it, there is an additional $10.50 that shows up as ‘import fees’. That brings the total to $56 usd, or C$82 with the added PayPal exchange surcharge. That’s more than twice my limit for a 32’nd scale model kit. However, someone else in the group may have a higher cost threshold, or may have a US shipping address set up through their business, or through a relative. But even with that, it may still be overpriced. (I’ll still buy one if I can find a fair price.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USAirfix-Kit-8204-K3-Magnette-MG-1-32-Scale-USAirfix-Plastic-Model-SEALED-NIB/324101968737

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Thanks for the info Felix!

I believe Jimbo has made one of these. Now I know what model it is… 🙂

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Thank you for the link Felix.

One thing about EBay. Patience pays off if you’re on a budget. You might be able to make an offer after the kit shows up several times unsold.

Nice looking car for pre-war era/class.

Hi Felix/all, I hope everyone and family are healthy and safe! I have the Airfix 03443-2 Kit, and alas, it’s one of many waiting for ‘retirement’ to complete, if an when that arrives…IF memory serves me correctly, I paid approx $45 Canadian rupees for it, and my intent was obviously to complete, however, appears you covet this, and if you wish, you can have for what I paid, once it’s ‘safe’ to convene of course. If not, no worries, I’ll keep and put back on the shelf… Stay well, and Stay Thirsty!

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.

Hi Gents:   I also hope all is well with everyone; I know some of the fellows had been in self-isolation earlier.

Thank you for your note, Porsche911. (Yes, everyone in family is still safe, and healthy to a degree; we have been  taking care of three aged parents, in various physical and cognitive states, one of whom had surgery in April and was discharged just today from a convalescence hospital. So, a lot of lifestyle adjustments to be made. Those, along with other ongoing projects, as well as activities in other disciplines, have me being pulled in all sorts of directions.)

Thank you also, for your considerate offer. I don’t know the quality of this kit, but I like the history and it looks like one worth building. I understand that jimbo has built one already, in BRG, so I will do mine in blue, another historical colour it ran in. So, yes, I would be happy to buy it from you when we re-convene. On the other hand, I also have a few others to build in this series, so if your interest in finishing the build is rekindled, no problem. Thanks again.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.