• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Anonymous.
  • Creator
    Topic

Newbie question: Is a slim-line FF style motor the same as the slow motor we use in 50’s GP? I have a Monogram 1965 Chaparral 2C that I would like to use in the pre 66 early series with the slim style motor. Can I use it if slow motors are voted in? If It’s not the same, what is the RPM of the slim-line FF style motor?

Thanks

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

Hi Michael,

The slow motors such as found in our sportscar class allow both the slim FF050 motor (that is in your car for instance – Bill raced a King Cobra on Wednesday and that too requires an FF050 motor but to meet the R32 rules for sportscars he used a Vanski or BWMS050) and the S-can equivalent such as the BWA BWNC1 or the Ninco NC1 for chassis that accept them… check the R32 rules quick reference spreadsheet for an exhaustive list of slow motors allowed… hope this helps!

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

So although it’s an FF050 motor, and it looks like a duck, it’s not a similar enough duck to a BWA BWMS050 or a Vanski FF050 motor to be possibly eligible, is that correct?? What’s the difference? Thanks.

It’s no wonder I’m so confused?? :unsure:

MiA

PS. I just received a nice spreadsheet that answers the preceding question (who knew there were so many motors out there??)so please disregard the initial question. 🙂

Hi Michael,

Are you referring to the R32 Quick Reference Spreadsheet on our rules page? To clarify, the FF050 and S-can references motor/can size/shape. Full RPM ranges can be found in both sizes/shapes. The slow motors are in the 14.4k – 15k RPM range regardless of can size. The larger can motors have a torque advantage but weigh more too.

Thanks Art. This really is a steep learning curve!! The sheet was a different one that may have come from SCI. It lists just motors, by manufacturer, RPM and torque values, generally with a visual ID clue if there is any. Very nice for newbies who think they look alike so they must be the same?? :wacko:

Anonymous

Hey guys. So what about hot rod. Why is it slim motor only if there is an equivalent s can?

Somehow I never saw your post Frank until now – as with much of our rules and classes one would need to go back in time to see the logic that started the class. Hot rods were prompted by the availability of cheap Lindberg kits that flooded local dollar stores. Since they were very light and most had full interiors the FF050 motor made sense both from a price and performance view as well as to preserve the interior detail that came with the kits. This was a class that we all understood would need a scratch built chassis and so it became a favourite for those who wished to express their building, painting and creative side since there were really so few rules… we also weren’t forced to integrate existing larger motored cars since this was new class. Since the Vanski FF050 motors are no longer available we decided to restrict the motor just to the BWMS050 brand to keep things as fair as possible as well…
                The S can although permitted and considered ‘equivalent’ for the sake of compatibility with other classes really is not, especially when dealing with heavier cars.
                As someone used to always tell me, and to which I now subscribe, limit the grip (tires) and the power (motor) and you will always have the fairest racing possible.

Anonymous

Hi Michael

The stock motor in your Chaparral 2C tests at:

MRRC slim can (FF-050) 21,000 RPM/12v, tested 20,526-22,410 RPM/12v
                tested 119-121 gcm/12v, tested 6.3-6.8W/12v

For this reason I voted for “up to 22k motors for the USRRC – Can Am cars”
                You can run these MRRC’s pretty much as stock if we agree on this RPM and there are a ton of available models already along the lines of this configuration. Best of all……..almost everybody has one.

See motor specs and testing results here:
                http://slotcarnews.blogspot.ca/2007/02/slot-car-news-motor-list.html

I will also paste this in our Resources section

Cheers
                KK

Kevin:
                    Thanks. My 2C is actually a Revell Monogram FF-050 rated slightly slower for whatever reason.

Revell-Monogram slim can (FF-050) tested 18,836-20,244 RPM/12v
                    tested 130-131 gcm/12v, tested 6.3-6.4W/12v

For that reason I voted for a 20K motor, although I suspect for me it won’t make any difference so I’m good regardless of what is decided. Just want something to run in the early class and Alfa wasn’t playing.

MiA

Link to SCI thread that has the ‘slot car motor news’ list in 3 different spreadsheet style formats. May be a bit easier to search than the original.

http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal/forums/showthread.php?t=60998

Just to enlighten those not present during Ringwood XIII when we discussed the motor for the USRRC class of the CAN AM Thunder event it was agreed that we would limit the motor to any slow motor as in our sportscar class. This enables some cars to be raced in sportscars afterwards but most importantly keeps the speeds down to a more realistic pace.

Anonymous

Art what is the tire rule for the pre 66 , I saw it mentioned but couldnt recall while I am building it
                      B

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • The forum ‘R32 Class Criterium’ is closed to new topics and replies.