• Creator
    Topic

Gentlemen, it is time once again for the fifth edition of our Classic Era Challenge Cup (1966 – 1971) now scheduled for Saturday, February 2, 2019 @ Molto VeLoce (MVL). The rules remain the same. Mandatory orange dot DArt club urethane tires on the rear wheels AND hard plastic body that raced in a period endurance race with any period fantasy livery ARE REQUIRED. The rest is up to you… any material… RTR or scratch…

Simple Rules & Guidelines v1.0
    1)      Open to any Prototype (P) or Sportscar (S), regardless of displacement, that competed between 1966 and 1971 in any endurance race which was part of the World Sportscar Championship or International Championship sanctioned by the FIA. By endurance race we mean a race lasting many hours (ie. 24, 12, 6) or over a large distance (ie. 1000k). Headlights are not a requirement (if the model raced did not have them) nor must headlights be functional.
    2)      Bodies must be hard plastic/resin with period appropriate (actual or fantasy) livery. No two entries may have the same race number. Race numbers will be reserved or assigned (see below).
    3)      Interiors may be made from any material. There is no minimum level of detail required by either a body or interior but attention to detail will always be appreciated.
    4)      Rear tires must be marked Darts for this event/series and will be available in the following sizes: D11, SI0201 (or NC0102) and NC0101.
    5)      This event is open to any adult with an eligible model and controller.
    6)      Any model that compromises the track for others in any way will not be permitted or will be removed from the track.

Reserving Your Race Number & Purchasing Marked DArts
    One (1) number may be reserved or will be assigned (absent a request) for each pair of marked DArt tires purchased up to a maximum of 3 per participant regardless of how many pair of marked DArts are purchased by anyone. Numbers will be reserved or confirmed upon receipt of payment (pickup may be on a later date or even at the event). The deadline to purchase your DArts (or reserve your racing number(s)) will be midnight the day prior to the event. Multiple models may qualify but only the top entry for each participant will advance. NO loaners or substitutions after qualifying has begun and all models will be impounded from that point on.

Contact me to order/purchase your marked DArt tires by email: [email protected].

Format:
    All models must either qualify or advance through elimination heats to make it to the A main for a chance to win or place in this event/series. Starting position will be assigned by random draw and all participants will have an opportunity to qualify for or advance all the way to the A main. Since this is FREE there will be no guaranteed minimum number of minutes raced. The number of participants will dictate the exact format chosen.

So, you may qualify up to three models but must choose one to race. Remember to use your assigned numbers for those models you wish to qualify.

Timed practice will start at 10:00am… followed by qualifying and then the race.

Here is our current list of registered numbers which will be updated in real time:

Race Number Owner/Participant
    1 Felix
    2 Porsche911
    3 Felix
    4 Jimbo
    5 Chubbyvette
    6 Porsche911
    7 JMSracer
    8 Chubbyvette
    9 KensRedZed
    11 MiA
    14 JMSracer
    15 Joe
    16 Felix
    18 MiA
    20 ArT
    21 ArT
    22 ArT
    30 JMSracer
    33 Chubbyvette
    34 MiA
    35 f1nutz
    37 KensRedZed
    38 Sal
    40 Porsche911
    51 KensRedZed
    56 racer68
    68 racer68
    69 racer68
    74 Joe
    90 Jimbo
    91 f1nutz
    92 Joe

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Wow! …with Orange Dots already – that means the car is going for just $47.50 (cdn) if you factor in the cost of the tires… and the fact that you don’t even need to mount them… a great deal for anyone needing a car for the Challenge Cup. I think it is the Andretti car perhaps? I’m sure someone will snatch it up quickly…

Ken I’m going to take a pass on the GT 40 my 512 ran good enough last week, I’ll just stick with it at this time. Thanks very much for the offer.

Joe

Art. Thank you for the opportunity. It was one year ago since my very first race with R32 at MVL. It was my pleasure to donate a door prize or two for this occasion. It’s cool that you got something nice too. The collection on your shelf looks fabulous!

Speaking of GT40’s. I will bring this new GT40 to the Can Am Thunder for Joe, for Monday. For the agreed price of ONE MILLION DOLLARS! Or was it $50? My memory fails me sometimes.

Concerning pictures for this event. I humbly apologize that I did not have my usual camera with me. My cell-phone ended up drinking a double-double coffee a while back and has never been the same. I’m still hopeful that I can post some pics from my phone. Please stay tuned for station identification while I try and fix this. I will bring my real camera to every event from now on. Ken

Classic Era Challenge Cup V (1966-1971)

Saturday, February 2, 2019

Throngs gathered at the Molto VeLoce Circuit (MVL) to witness the 5th running of the Challenge Cup – a series dedicated to showcasing many of the fastest models prepared by R32ians. Transporters with a variety of period models sporting chassis of every kind, both scratch built and RTR plastic – from Thunderslot, Shapeways, Slot.It and NSR, and one sporting a scratch built body, many with full interiors and some with cards. Two awards were up for grabs – the Chickoneh & the Voisin – for the race winner and marshal of the race respectively. Many door prizes were generously donated by Ken, including the ones listed above, so everyone would leave a winner!

It was agreed to adjust the race format by permitting each builder to race TWO models (scored separately). The second model (if raced) did not require orange dot tires.

Good Luck!

Qualifying Result (10 Lap Average with 2 Warm Up Laps):

1. #20;
          2. #21;
          3. #40;
          4. #2;
          5. #15;
          6. #34;
          7. #51;
          8. #69;
          9. #9;
          10. #68;
          11. #92;
          12. #18;
          13. #11.

Overall Race Result:

Two qualifiers were withdrawn*.

1. #20 – Porsche 908/3 (scratch chassis) [6.384 sec. fastest lap];
          2. #2 – Lola T70 (Thunderslot RTR) (5 laps) [6.476];
          3. #21 – Ferrari P4 (scratch chassis) (5) [6.520];
          4. #40 – Ford GT40 (Slot.It RTR) (8) [6.510];
          5. #15 – Ferrari 512 Coda Lunga (Modified Shapeways) (10) [6.507];
          6. #51 – Ferrari 312P (scratch chassis & body) (15) [6.717];
          7. #69 – Alfa T33/3 (Slot.It RTR) (15) [6.975];
          8. #92 – Porsche 908 (scratch chassis) (18) [6.812];
          9. #9 – Ford GT40 (Slot.It RTR) (20) [6.894];
          10. #18 – Porsche 908/3 (scratch chassis) (22) [7.439];
          11. #34 – Alfa T33/3 (Slot.It RTR) (23) [7.094].

* #11 – Porsche 917 (NSR RTR) and #68 – Ford GT40 (Slot.It RTR) both withdrawn prior to race.

[Model particulars (above) are from memory – forgive me if any model detail is inaccurate – I forgot my camera and did not have pictures to reference.]

The Chickoneh went to the brand new entry – a Porsche 908/3. There was a tie for the Voisin – Congratulations to both Joe and Ken who shared marshaling honours. MiA took home the Lancia and everyone went home with a cool door prize – all donated generously by Ken.

It was super nice to win a door prize too! Here’s my GT40:

A huge thank you to Doug at MVL and to everyone who could make it out to race! Thank you to those that helped clean the track too! A big thanks to Ken for donating so many cool door prizes as well (and for drawing my name for the GT40)!

[Pictures Coming Soon! – thank you Ken for taking photographs for the group!]

Cheers!  :good:

No pictures, but a big thanks to Doug for allowing us to race on his track, B-) to Art for organizing and hosting :good: , to Ken for for his generous donation of door prizes :yahoo: and to everyone who participated for an excellent day of racing!! :wacko:

Field is coming together! Depending on numbers we may have time to allow TWO entries from every garage/builder in the race instead of just one…. we’ll do the numbers tomorrow morning… Good Luck!!!

I need to keep reminding myself that a Corvette is a GT class car. Not a sports car.

#37 Corvette has been pulled from the list.

My humble apologies.

Ken

MiA will bring the usual suspects.

#11 Porsche 917

#18 Porsche 908

#34 Alfa T33/3

Art

Sign my #15 car in as well.

Joe

The usual suspects will be there from the DArt garage: #20, #21 & #22 – a Ford GT, Ferrari P4 & NEW Porsche 908/3 respectively will all attempt to qualify at Molto VeLoce.  :good:

Hi Guys

I’m  planning to attend this Saturday with the  Ford GT and the Lola I raced last time around but using numbers 68 and 69. Looking forward to seeing you guys for the first time in 2019.

Cheers

Steve

Ecurie Lyons is planning on attending. :yahoo:

Please sign me up for the following entries:

#9 Ford GT-40 (1966)

#37 ZL1 Corvette Stingray (1971)

#51 Ferrari 312P Berlinetta (1969)

Thank you very kindly,

Ken

#10 released and #37 obtained by Ken…

One of the door prizes for this race will be a 65th anniversary Matchbox Gulf livery Ford GT40. This prize fits perfectly for this race. Nice eye candy too! Matchbox did a stunning job.

Art

Sign me up #92  908. Can I drop by on the Pan America night for some tires.

Joe

Art. Mr Arutunoff and I thank you for the change in numbers. He can now join the race in his ZL1 Stingray.

Another door prize for this race. A limited edition 1/43 Kyosho Lancia Stratos Turbo (Group-5).

That’s your number Ken!

Thank you for donating an excellent door prize!  :good:  :good:  :good:

Viewing 16 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.