• Creator
    Topic

If anyone ever needs a set-screw or fastener. Try Spaenaur.com out of Kitchener. They stock everything no one else has. They ship to your door. It’s sometimes cheaper to buy a bulk box of 50 than it is to buy 10 from a store.

They also sell brass inserts etc…

Ken

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

Here’s an example of what I mean. I called Hornet Hobbies, Minigrid, Concord Fasteners, Brafasco, Hobby Hobby, and Great Hobbies for 2-56 set-screws. No one had them in stock, and no one wanted to order them.

So I called Spaenaur today. They have them in stock by the box. 50 set-screws 2-56 x 1/8″ inch = $8.00. I also bought another box of 50, 2-56 x 3/16″ for another $8.00. They arrive tomorrow via Fedex.

Ken

Good Work Ken!

Let us know what driver they require… and are they black oxide, stainless or steel? I’ve never stripped a 2-56 set screw and because of their slightly larger size they are vastly superior to the usual slot.it M2 set screws.

You can fix/correct M2 ‘botch’ jobs that are stripped by re-tapping them to 2-56… no need to re-drill them provided the wheels are made from a good quality aluminium. 2-56 tap are easy to find – every scratch builder should have a tap for each size of set screw they use regularly too.

Now that I build more scratch models than plastic RTR models I’ve come to realize that I would rather drill and tap the wheels I buy for the set screws that I prefer (and also provide myself). 😉

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Hollow point, hardened steel set-screws. Not sure what size key until they arrive.

The 2-56 tap was not that easy to find. My usual supplier, Karl Richter in Scarborough would have to special order one. So I made the trip from Scarborough to KBC tools on Kennedy road in Mississauga. They had a choice. Made in the USA for $19, or second quality version for $12. I went for the one made in USA. It will last my entire life if I always use oil. Good quality tools are never a waste of money.

Ken

Great Hobbies in Mississauga have  the 2 common sizes we use as well as the slightly larger, less used, 4-40 (2mm- Dubro Cat. # 370, 2-56 -Dubro Cat. # 360, 4-40 -Dubro Cat. # 361). They come as a set, drill and tap.

Thanks for the tip Mike. You are absolutely right. Dubro brand will likely be more than good enough.

If I’m going to travel to Mississauga. I like KBC tools. A candy store for the machinist at heart!

Here’s a pic of the set-screws that just arrived from Spaenaur.

1) Professor Motor 2mm by 3mm long = $1.00 each (10 per bag)

2) Spaenaur 2mm by 4mm long = $0.29 each (100 per bag)

3) Spaenaur 2-56 by 1/8″ inch long = $0.16 each (50 per bag)

4) Spaenaur 2-56 by 3/16″ inch long = $0.16 each (50 per bag)

All set-screws seem to be equal in quality to the Professor Motor 2mm by 3mm. I agree with Art in that the 2mm x 3mm long strip easy. The 2mm x 4mm will be 33% less prone to stripping simply by being longer. They all use the same driver as the Professor Motor 2mm screw.

Ken

Set screws

Good to know – thanks!

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Thanks for sharing that info Ken!

I’ll have to order some of these.

Viewing 6 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.