• Creator
    Topic

Greetings from Scarborough.  It’s time to contribute to this Forum after reading it for so long.  Although I race with “the other Club”, I did race a few R32 events several years ago and Hot Rods was one of the classes.   After using a borrowed car, I decided to scratch build my own.   Despite being in the Hobby since the 60’s (off and on), I never a soldered a chassis together so this was going to be interesting.

I used the Lindberg 1925 Ford Model T and added a box (made from styrene) in the rear to hide the crown gear and AB Slot motor bracket. It has  RS Slot wheels with Dart inserts and Dart tires of course.   For a first attempt, I was quite pleased with it.

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

Gary,

That’s a great looking HotRod! :good:

I look forward to going head to head when the light turns green. :yahoo:

Looks great Gary, I love that the motor is fully exposed. It gives it that real “Hot Rod” feel. Would you please give us some details on your rear axle bracket, did you fabricate it yourself ?

Cheers

Steve

The motor bracket is from a company called AB Slotsport in Great Britain.  You can Google it,  I do  not think I should post a link here.

In the chassis section, you can find the AB Midi reversible bracket.  It is 3 pieces so you have the option of making it an offset or zero offset mount depending on how you solder the side legs.

I must say I learned something about paying more attention to the assembly of body kits.  The close up images exposes some areas  that I should have cleaned up  (sanding) before painting.    Live and learn.

Gary,

Please post links for items DArt Hobbies doesn’t offer. Art likes to see links added for club members and has expressed this wish. I’m quite sure he uses them too. :good:

I created a thread a while back titled something like “Super Macro as a learning and building tool”. It can sure be an eye opener. One of the staff at Wheels & Wings once said “You can’t do the work if you can’t see the work”. I went out and bought 2-more workbench lights and better reading glasses. My building skills improved immediately. 🙂

Thanks Gary

It’s great to have more resources . Does anyone have any experience or tips on building scratch built brackets? I’m trying to figure out how to build modular chassis with scratch built parts so that a limited set of modules could be used for both rear and front motored cars( such as Indy Roadsters) of different wheelbases.

Cheers

Steve

The Beardog brackets are also available from Electric Dreams, that is where I got mine from.  Link —- BD104S Beardog mini motor/rear axle bracket – Steel [BD104S] – $8.59 : Electric Dreams, New and Vintage Slot Cars, New and Vintage Slot Cars

I then used them as a template to create a number of copies of just the motor plate using brass sheet.  If you have a drill press it is doable.

Here is a pic. My machining skills are about 1% of Ken’s but I used a couple in chassis.

Here is the link:  Chassis (abslotsport.biz)   Look under 1/32 Scale. Beardog Retro Chassis.

Thanks DB

I especially appreciate the included photo. I don’t have Ken’s skill either but  I have the drill press and with a couple of drinks to steady my nerves I think it’s worth a try.

Cheers

Steve

I have done the same as DB, use the bracket as a template for the motor plate except I just used an electric drill.   Not as neat as DB’s but it works (I beat both of you, I have zero % skill).

My next  post will have a chassis with the homemade motor plate.

Looks good GI!

You might consider entering it in the upcoming proxy later this month… hmmm…

Cheers!

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Nice job GI! Looks like you are well on your way to the scratch built addiction 😉

Hi gents:    Been unable to follow this forum on any regular basis since last fall; checked it once in a while, but I must have missed some good discussions. I’ve just noticed GI’s post and some discussion on fabricating scratch-built motor brackets. A  key problem I’ve encountered whenever drilling 1.5 mm holes in chassis parts is placing the exact centre of a hole, and drilling it without the cutting bit wandering.  (The wandering can be avoided with a pilot bit, but it’s often hard to use under these conditions without damaging the template, and without knowing the exact centre  beforehand.)

When doing an architectural project, I find the centre of an existing large circle by the intersection of the perpendicular bisectors of any two chords. It’s impossible to use this method when replicating the exact positions of drill holes on a tiny piece of metal. But it is equally important to drill at those centres exactly, so that the components align perfectly. Is there a reliable way of doing this without any sophisticated equipment?

I devised, long ago, a method that seems to work, and does not require any expensive equipment. I’ve used it to drill 1.5 mm holes (for M2 threading) in chassis plates to align perfectly with the holes in the CNC fabricated bearing holders, where it’s critical to achieve perfect alignment. I’ve used it in reverse, to drill into scratch built bearing holders to perfectly align with existing holes in the chassis plate. I’ve used it to align holes between a suspension plate and base plate, as well as to drill holes in motor holders and motor stays aligned with holes in the motor housing and in the base plate.

The method is very simple and requires only two key components, besides other tools and materials that are already in most workshops. The first is a short piece of small diameter brass tube (K&S type) that fits precisely inside the original hole of the piece of metal you are replicating. The second is a very fine drill bit (usually between 0.5 mm and 2 mm) that fits smoothly inside and matches the inner diameter of the brass tube. I place the original master/ template piece in position onto the copy metal plate, and hold it in place with double-sided tape. Hold the appropriately sized brass tube tightly fitting into the hole of the template. Then carefully drill a hole in the copy metal using the drill bit that fits smoothly inside the guide tube. That hole can later be enlarged, or threaded if necessary, and it should end up precisely in correct position.

Photo:    Aluminum bearing holder on motor plate, two brass tubes in position inside M2 threads, one drill bit inside guide tube.   Spring-steel motor bracket from ‘Beardog chassis’ kit, taped down for copying, two brass tubes in position inside 2 mm holes, one drill bit inside guide tube.   Other brass tubes of various diameters, other drill bits, M2 tap set.

I hope this method is of use to someone.    Felix.

Thanks Felix

There is a wealth of experience amongst our friends and I appreciate your sharing yours. Photos are especially helpful. I think that I can use your approach as I’ve had the same issues with off centre holes and wandering. I’ve been trying to work on a low power ff050 front motor chassis in between more pressing projects and precision is important because of all the other potential power losses with such a design.

Cheers

Steve

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing that tip Felix.

Great idea!     I will try that out next time.

Hi Guys; thank you, Racer68 F1Nutz GI, for your feedback. (I’m often not sure whether I am contributing anything useful, or I’m just loading the internet with more ‘jibrish’!)   Sorry that my photos don’t always turn out as clear after resizing. I just discovered that if you right-click on the posted photo it gives the option of opening it in ‘new tab’, which you can then view at full screen or magnify (without bothering to go through the steps to separately save the photo).

I took another look at the materials and have a few more suggestions that may be of some help. In terms of the motor bracket, the motors I’ve worked with in the past have had a motor housing projection around the bearing or bushing on the can side to be a standard 6.15mm diameter. In my FF-030 micro-motor from the Beardog chassis kit, that part of the bell end motor housing has a diameter of 4.75mm, and I find that the bracket (at least the sample I have) has a hole diameter slightly oversized for this motor, as well as slightly off-centre once the motor is screwed into place. Similarly, the BWMS 050 slimline-motor housing has a diameter of  4.69mm around the armature axle on the bell side, again loose inside this motor bracket. So there may be some precision variance in the original fabrication of the Beardog bracket.  (It may still work fine at this scale, but the bracket is not locked in tight against the housing around the bushing, and relies more heavily on the screw connections, which are slightly oversized as well – I use spring washers in this case. )   A couple of other 32’nd scale use motors – Slot.it has a bearing housing diameter of 6.00mm, NSR has 6.12mm. So an adjustment to the hole  diameter in the bracket would be needed for various motors. (Once properly centred, it’s easy to increase the diameter.)

Getting back to the original topic, drilling the various holes in replicating the Beardog motor bracket plate; my discussion illustrated the method for drilling the 2mm screw holes, threaded and unthreaded. The larger hole  fitting tightly around the motor housing bushing needs other materials but a similar method. K&S brass pipe, 7/32” (5.56mm) is a bit large for the Beardog motor plate.  K&S 3/16” (4.76mm) is a bit loose. (Remember, the hole in the Beardog  plate is oversized.)   What I’ve tried in similar cases is to use ‘aluminum heating duct tape’; just take a narrow cut-off and wrap a short length of it around the end of the 3/16” pipe, and adjust until you get a tight fit.   Now, it’s not necessary to drill the 4.7mm hole in one step, the important thing is to get it centred. It’s a good idea to insert smaller diameter brass tubes that telescope tightly inside the outer guide tube until you reach a convenient drill bit diameter fitting smoothly inside. If you are working on a bracket for the Slot.it or NSR motors, you might start with the 7/32” brass guide pipe.

Thanks again;  hope these ideas are of some use.      Felix.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.