• This topic has 17 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

This is my first scratch build. Please forgive the mistakes.

It’s a Lindberg static kit of a Ford Tudor. My inspiration for the build was the Carrera Panamerica. The paint is Testor’s ” One Coat” lacquer.

The drivers I chose to create the car after were Mickey Thompson and Rodger Flores from USA. Car #204, 1954. Sponsered by Ford and La Carrera Panamerica. No photo’s of this livery were available.

More photo’s to follow. Ken

Ford Tudor body

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

Now that my wife’s oven is a nice shade of blue. I can move on to the chassis. Word of advice. Oven fans don’t evacuate fresh paint very well. I guess I need to make a spray booth.

I bought a piece of 3/4″ x 3/4″ x 36″aluminum channel from Home Depot. Cut off a 5″-inch piece. Drilled and reamed it for bearings. Then cut the top off with a bandsaw leaving just the part I need.

Chassis roughed out

Once the chassis is roughed out. A nice, new file doesn’t stand a chance against aluminum. Also made the holes for the crown gear, body posts, and guide. Weighs 11-grams empty.

Chassis completed

Test fit assembly. The chassis has enough material near the pod to bolt in a motor-plate. In the end, I chose to use epoxy to install the motor and could have cut the extra material off near the rear axle, pod area. Bearings are smooth. Chassis rolls away just looking at it.

Test fit

Chassis details almost done and body mounted. The paper under the car doesn’t show it clearly but there is a 2-degree rake, nose down.

Body mounted

The under belly. Weighs 68-grams at the moment, but it’s not finished. The car needs stickers, and interior.

Belly

The specs: 1949 Ford Tudor (Lindberg):

Wheelbase: 3.370″ (85.60 mm)

Wheel spacing: 1.945″ (49.41 mm)

14×6 wheels on D’Art white walls (.845″ tire diameter – 21.47 mm)

BWA 050 Motor, 10-tooth pinion, 23-tooth crown

Professor motor axles. 1.680″ (42.68 mm) in length

Sloting Plus roller bearings

Slot-It universal guide and braid

Professor Motor lead wire

Chassis height off track .137″ (3.5 mm)

Body height off track .098″ (2.5 mm)

Approximate overall body length 5.340″ (135.62 mm)

Approximate overall body width 2.234″ (56.76 mm)

Paint – Testor’s “One Coat” lacquer. Molotow chrome pen. My first try at both.

Weight 68-grams without interior yet. This will be updated shortly when I add the interior.

Livery: Mickey Thompson & Rodger Flores – USA. Sponsered by Ford and Carrera Panamerica.

1954 race. Car #204 – Ford – No photo’s or details. DNF – due to accident.

More pics and details to follow. Thank you. Ken

That’s a really nice build so far KenZee! Your testing went really well too from what I recall… fast and smooth… Can’t wait to see it with the interior and decals done! Let us know what the overall weight is too when the interior is added! Cheers! :good:

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Thank you for your kind words Art.

Here is a view of the running chassis. It sits as true to the block as the diameter of the tires can permit.

Completed chassis

Front view.

Font view

With decals.

Front left

She’s fully licenced and ready for the road. Sorry about the crappy numbers. My nerves are a mess.

Licence plate

On the block. More pics to follow with interior and final weight. Thank you very kindly, Ken.

On the block

Looks great Ken. I was wondering what size and type of drill  you used for the bearing holes and if you could tell us a little about the bearings you used. They seem such a perfect fit. I love the look of the whitewalls with the dark paint.I really need to get some of those!

Cheers

Steve

Bearings are Sloting Plus part# SP055000 single flange roller bearings (3/32ID x 3/16OD)

Size #14 “Nachi” drill = 0.181″ diameter, and a .1875″ “Dormer” reamer.

Drill the hole through both sides of the square tubing.  Ream immediately after drilling while the part is still in the vice or the bearings won’t line up properly. Use lots of oil on the drill and reamer to keep the hole diameter accurate.

It might be wise to invest in a center drill too. Nothing worse than a wandering drill bit.

Ken

A very innovative chassis, and as I recall it went really well. Congratulations!! :yahoo:

Livery is perfect, much better than the original!!

Thank you for the compliments Micheal and Steve. My real hope now is that it runs better than it looks.

The tires are no longer rubbing on the body. That’s one less thing to debug.

I just need to make time to create the interior. Anyone got some spare time they can sell me? This working for a living really takes up my time.  :wacko:

Ken

I seem to have left this thread unfinished. The livery had to change due to it being too different from Mickey Thompson’s actual car. Fred Steinbroner is the new driver of car #18.  I added 7-grams of lead to the chassis. The final weight is just over 75-grams.

I didn’t like the car at first. However, it seems to have earned my respect, and a solid spot in the “Hot Rod Garage”.

For more (better) photos of the completed car, please check the database or gallery.

Ken

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.