• Creator
    Topic

For most members, building is a work in progress and it takes time to built up a full inventory of cars to race at every event, especially with this group which has over twenty classes and counting.  Members must be encouraged to build as much as possible and allowed to race their builds as much as possible.  Having fun should always be the main driver that is given greatest weight by all.

I realize this may be a controversial issue but it is not intended to be…, I am raising it only from the point of view of fairness.  Fairness is the central theme that we base all our rules on and is also the main point considered in any type of racing.  I ask that all members put on your stewards hat and consider this topic without any bias.  Assume that you are the adjudicating panel of a racing body,  your mandate is to decide what is the fair and proper course of action.  I would hope that whatever is decided by the group be applied to future events and will not have any bearing on past events.

Currently, all members race the cars that they have built and registered for any particular event.  If a member has built only one car, and there are four separate races held at one event, then that member may race their only model in all four races as a separate entrant.  At present, that members best result from all four separate races with the same car will be awarded, against all the other members that have not had an opportunity to race the same car repeatedly, in multiple races.  The final result awarded to all other members is the result they achieved in only one race-their first and only race with that car.

1) Is the current award method fair to all?

2) Should we continue to award a racer on this basis or would it be more fair for each individual car to be permitted to race as many races as there are at any one event but the result awarded that car should be the result achieved from only the first race that car raced?  In other words, after the first race, the member will be allowed to race their car as often as they want in the remaining races but in terms of keeping score, that car will only be considered as a place holder after its first race, it’s subsequent race result will not count in the final tally.

I look forward to an open discussion on this topic.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

The first race is often merely a warm-up. But you have a point.

Why not allow  two races per car so it’s still fair for those with less cars?

Not everyone can make cars fast. Specially new blood.

We all know and agree that not everyone can build cars fast and this is why builders must be encouraged to build and allowed to race their cars as much as possible, not be penalized.  A driver with one car will race all four heats.  However, we should not penalize those that build more cars by allowing one set a racers an advantage over the others.  I believe we can agree that every car is different, it handles differently and It is my experience that I will get faster with any particular car the more I drive it.  If I drive car A in the first heat that comes off easily in corner 1 and 4, this does not give me any advantage when I switch to car B in the second race, car B handles well in corners 1 and 4, but does not handle well in corner 5 and I must be diligent coming out of corner 5 or my car rolls.

If we look at and F1 qualifying we note that the drivers driving the same cars get faster in Q2 over Q1, and Q3 is always the fastest… because everyone has had more practice driving the same car learning its limits with the track conditions that exist on race day.  For example, if Leclerc and Verstappen qualify as first and second after Q2, with a 1 second per lap advantage over the rest of the field and we have them switch to each others cars in Q3, they may not qualify at all in Q3 or at least lose their advantage and qualify in the middle of the filed.  They did have the same track time as the rest of the drivers but suddenly their advantage was artificially removed and they were penalized while other the other drivers were not.

I believe a review of the past race results will prove that in the vast majority of occurrences a driver driving the same car for multiple races will improve over their previous race result driving the same car at the same event.  This is an advantage awarded to this driver and a penalty to the others.  Why have so many rules to make racing as fair as possible and ignore this obvious advantage which tips the scales?

It would be great if as many others as possible chime in and provide their thoughts on this relevant topic.

Since no one else seems to be able to find a set of chimes at the moment. Some other thoughts could be…

1) Keep the results among the group, and post pictures only. A good slap on the back and some proper heckling to the winner from the rest of the group should suffice.

2) Since we don’t have pizza these days. Everyone brings/donates a dollar and the person in last place gets a set of free D’Art tires. Maybe we can call it “building incentive”?

These are just suggestions…

Perhaps instead of using the best result for models that race multiple times during any given event we will use the first result only. That allows those with only one or two models to race them multiple times without having any advantage over others who may only race each of their models once.

Furthermore, since we have an online registration system which would allow me to configure a single rotation order not based on racer/builder but based on model #s/class I could ensure that every model entered is raced AND will race with similar models. But for this to work, every model needs to be registered by their builder beforehand. Those that merely indicate that they will attend but give no idea of what models they will race makes it very difficult for me to properly configure a single rotation. For this reason going forward we will try the following: We will impose a deadline to register models 24 hours in advance. Anyone who does not register their models before the deadline will not compete nor will any of their models. I will close the registration topic and post the upcoming rotation order on the morning of the event. If there is space those with the fewest models MAY get a chance to race multiple times but priority will be given to make sure every entered model competes and all models compete against similar models.

Cheers! :yahoo:

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Track owners can test/debug their cars without end before they show up to a race.

None track owners need to take a best guess at their build and hope for the best on race day. My Bugatti didn’t see power until it touched the track.

I’m not certain you can make it fair for everyone 100% of the time.

You are absolutely correct Ken. In my opinion having a track and being able to test and tune all builds offers the owner a clear advantage (although one which I would suggest is also well deserved for reasons beyond any discussion in this thread). This is why it is so important for anyone who does have a track to allow others opportunities to test and tune their cars whenever possible. But this is a different problem and perhaps better dealt with in a separate topic. :good:

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 5 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.