• This topic has 17 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

I’m sure we’ve all been looking forward to the debut of the Indy Roadsters. After talking to Art at Monday nights race it appears we will have a race  scheduled towards the end of this years S32 season. The rules are firming up and here is what we have so far.

-Any true, front engined  roadster that was registered, qualified or participated in any Indy 500 race from 1950 onwards to the very last roadster in 1967 is eligible.

-Only the FF050 slow  motor may be used in a front motor, rear drive  configuration with the motor ahead of the cockpit.

-Cars must weigh a minimum of 80 grams.

-Cars may use any size wheels and tires as long as they represent a reasonably scale appearance.

-Authentic liveries are encouraged but fantasy liveries that maintain a look (paint colours, fonts and graphics) representative of the period that they raced in are allowed

For anyone having trouble locating roadster bodies e-Bay is a great resource. Geodies is a seller that usually has several eligible bodies available and he is willing to combine shipping. Here is a link to a current body on sale https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-32-Bardahl-Ferrari-Indianapolis-resin-body-kit-slotcar/193310078141?hash=item2d022db4bd:g:izcAAOSwDuleJzIi. e-Bay also often has old Eldon roadsters on sale.

Rules may need a little polishing going forward but hopefully by keeping things relatively simple we can all  rise tothe challenge of building a front engine roadster .

I’m looking forward to seeing what we all come up with . Lets get building!

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Thank you for your accurate and inspirational post regarding this proposed class racer68.

The front motor configuration will allow for a nearly full interior/pilot which all participants would be STRONGLY encouraged to include in their models. The minimum weight is designed to level the playing field somewhat for heavier slush poured resin bodies. Since many bodies do not have the space to accommodate a larger S-can motor the BWMS050 motor becomes the logical choice and it doesn’t hurt that they are so cheap.

The goal here is to have a diverse field of realistic period appropriate models. If you have extra time for this build the emphasis should be on adding more detail to your model – not on how to make it lighter or faster.

Hopefully this will take off like our pre-war class has.

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Thanks for posting the link Racer68. Nice variety and selection of bodies at reasonable prices. I look forward to this new event.

Is anyone thinking of putting in a order of these bodies? If so maybe we can coordinate so we don’t all end up with the same car and also save on shipping? If so I’d be interested in getting one or 2.

I’ve begun work on a slosh poured resin body which I pulled from an old lexan body I had laying around.

Sadly it is the same Watson roadster made by AMT though probably much more lumpy in comparison.

I’m presently carving and sanding some of the more distinct details to hopefully de-lumpify it.

Hi F1nutz. I’m interested in one car. But I no longer have Paypal. I would need to pay cash and add it to someone else’s order. I patiently await other responses to your suggestion.

Hello Guys, I would also like to join the group for this order, I do not have a Pay Pal account but I could pay cash to whoever is able to add one car for me, is this possible?

Thank You in advance

Luis Meza

I have some newbie questions before I can make a build plan please.

Please explain what a “40mm front motor drive” means? 40mm between the motor housing and the crown gear?

Thanks,

Ken

For some classes this was the MINIMUM distance between the motor (from the can or endbell) to the rear axle – so if a caliper set at 40mm can fit between the motor can and the rear axle then that model qualifies as a front motor model – how you transmit the power is up to you… I don’t believe we ever set a minimum distance for this series…

Hi F1nutz. Here’s an idea.

If a car is $15 and the shipping about the same. Are you, or someone else willing to place an order if club members pre-pay $30 per car until the order arrives and actual shipping cost is known? Let’s find a way to get this off the ground.

Pre-paying will make sure everyone picks up their kits without delay.

Thanks Ken while I was not volunteering to do the order I can if you want.

I was planning on going with my slosh cast Watson in the end but will check if maybe there is something else I can order.

I don’t think you need a paypal account to pay for ebay stuff last time I checked just a credit card is good.

I will look into it however.

Progress on the slosh cast Watson Roadster.

I also found an earlier version in Lexan that may be able to be duplicated.

Your project is coming along nicely F1nutz! What is the wheelbase on that?

2 3/4 inches. How does that compare to the AMT kit?

Watson Leader Card Special

note the offset suspension and starter tube in the front grill opening.

Nice video F1nutz. Thanks!

I just did a final calculation on the wheelbase for the Ferrari Bardahl Special, and after checking it 3-times. It came out to 84mm or 3.300″ inches. The Geodies body might be a bit heavy, but it’s very long. There’s also lots of material that can still be removed to reduce weight.

Indi Roadsters aren’t coming. They’re here! :yahoo:

I hope everyone is using their isolation time wisely? As in building Indi-500 cars?

Either that, or everyone has to get used to looking at my car from this view for a while. 😉

It has been a while and so I though we should clarify where we are with the regulations for this new class so far. I’ve borrowed some of racer68’s language.

Here’s what we have:

• Any true, front engined  roadster that was registered, qualified or participated in any Indy 500 race from 1950 onwards to the very last roadster in 1967 is eligible.
                  • Authentic liveries are encouraged but fantasy liveries that maintain a look (paint colours, fonts and graphics) representative of the period that they raced in are allowed.
                  • BWMS050 (FF050) low power front motor placement, inline (but may be offset, up/down, left/right), rear drive so that the motor is ahead of the cockpit. (Should we have a minimum distance from the rear axle?)
                  • Minimum weight of 80 grams.
                  • Maximum width of 54mm. (Should this be narrower?)
                  • Any size wheels and tires may be used provided they represent a reasonably scale appearance. (Is the barn door open too far???)

:good:

It all sounds good. Wider tires means you’ll flip easier. The rules can be adjusted if something should stray too far for whatever reason. :good:

Viewing 15 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.