• This topic has 17 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Avatar photoGI.
  • Creator
    Topic

Well I got a little bored over the weekend and I’ve had one of these parked in the corner of the race room for a while now.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

It’s a 1/32 die cast made by a company called Kinsmart. Well the top is die cast but the bottom is plastic. I thought it would make good track scenery when I bought it years ago, but what better scenery than a slot car transporter?

Pete Lovely used the pickup version of the VW Bus back in the 60’s to transport their F1 cars to and from the circuit.

So out came the dremel and I cut off the back part of the upper die cast body and trimmed down the plastic lower body to the proportions of the pickup bed.

Now the hard work begins. I just need to fabricate the back of the pickup cab and the pickup bed.

But where will all the Groovy Hippy’s hang out now??? :>) Great start!!

Probably down in the woods at the back end of Mosport 😉

The VW bus and the Lotus too!!! Can’t wait to see it when it is finished!

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

1st coat of paint. Went with blue but I may go with an off white to better match the car.

The Lotus is a standard issue Scalextric.

Cool looking diorama.

The image of Pete Lovely’s VW transporter brings back memories.   I recall seeing a picture in a Race Magazine unloading the Lotus for a Continental Race (Formula 5000) with his wife helping out.

It must have been tricky loading the car backwards on to the VW bed.  The rear tires look to be hanging over the edge.

Yes I’ve seen that picture as well. In the picture above you can see the wooden planks on the rear deck that they clipped on the back of those extensions for the front wheels. No doubt the nose would need to be removed to avoid it scraping the ground. I suspect part the rear exhaust is also remove to get the Lotus that tight up to the VW cab.

And of course not to be confused with John Love  who was responsible for bringing Team Gunston sponsorship to the auto racing community way back when.

Great build Bill!

So I was searching for the image of Pete Lovely unloading his Lotus with the help of his wife and could not find it.  Then I realized I Googled John Love  instead of Pete Lovely.

Lovely, Love, Luv – easy mistake, it got me!

Hardly confusing at all!!

This one?

Hahaha!

Getting closer.

That’s the picture.   Nice looking pit crew!

Viewing 14 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.