• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Avatar photoMiA.
  • Creator
    Topic

The Ugly Ducking that is more than a year in the works now needs a ‘low’ powered chassis for the upcoming Targa Florio IV. I’m talking about the tiny Autobianchi Giliberti A112 entered by Scuderia Pegaso in the 1300cc class. So I’m going to get working on a chassis for this…

[seatt-form event_id=16]

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

This little Autobianchi Giliberti A112 is similar in size to an original Mini (in fact the body is a modified Honda N360 ARII kit) and thus some of the advantages/features of my 1/32 standard setup block can’t be used – which made for more fun in the end. Regardless, this ugly duckling now has a chassis. In the company of a couple of Scratch32ians we got this simple chassis soldered together using .055″ wire and a few brass pieces. Bearings were used in lieu of oilite bushings on the back and we soldered them in place to cut down build time. After the party was over I added the raised rear body mount brace and a piece of wire atop the front axle holder – then cut off and trimmed all of the excess – and cleaned and scrubbed everything with some Comet followed by a polish using both a wire wheel (low speed) and sandpaper on some brass pieces. I also oiled the bearings. This basic chassis weighs in at exactly 9.0g.

As you can see this chassis was designed to accommodate a Ninco guide & FF050 motor (in particular a Vanski ‘low’ power motor) in a mid-inline configuration (there isn’t any room to do anything else) and to keep things light we kept bracing to a minimum. After assembly and testing with the body on we will find out whether or not we need to add a little weight – perhaps a small rattle plate underneath the chassis – but we’ll see… a big thank you to Jimbo & MiA for their helpful comments and supportive company. :good:

…and with body mounted to the rolling chassis to test ride height and clearances – everything is fine – body lowered a bit but not slammed – I could easily drop the front end down considerably (and the back too) but that would not reflect the stance of the original. Time for the body to go to paint prep and the chassis on to final assembly… (to be continued in the scratch building sub forum later in the week)

One lucky little Autobianchi Giliberti A112!! :yahoo:

Those jaunty gents from Palermo (Scuderia Pegaso) are very appreciative and will be riding in style!! B-) . And of course they raise a delicious glass of red to you!

Thanks again for another very informative session. The format works really well! Due to the short length it appears that the weight distribution will be close to 50/50 and it will be fascinating to see whether this translates into go cart  like handling!! :scratch:

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.