• Creator
    Topic

I’ll paint a few types of inserts – wire wheels and steel wheels – and paint a little body detail plus do some weathering… no need to bring anything just questions that we can all answer and a good sense of humour!
    [seatt-form event_id=8]

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Following up from Bill’s session and for the upcoming body painting session you can find Citadel water based paints here:

Games Workshop

Use the store locator – they have many retail outlets around the GTA so there is one definitely near you. You can also order online and they take the usual payment methods plus Paypal. They also sell some accessories, including brushes.

Pay attention to the different paint types which are all explained on their website, or better yet, go and talk to someone at the store. They also have helpful tips and videos. From what I can see costs of the paints vary from $5 to $9 (excluding sprays).

And following up the follow up….I went to Games Workshop last week(Appleby Village), using Bill’s recommended colour suggestions as my palate(hehe). Evidently the naming convention has changed, and the store manager was good enough to complete a cross reference for me. Great guy (They call him ‘Tim’) :>)  showed me some painting/shading/dry brush techniques, and some other tips… He also told me the Hartland Centre is open 7 days if you’re jonesing for paint on a Sunday, and that they’re very helpful too. He also told me there is a free app you can get from them, take a picture of your object, and it will assess the appropriate Citadel colour. Maybe there is something good in Smartphones…See below :yahoo:

New Branding

Elf Flesh                                       Kislev Flesh

Undercoat Black                        Abbadon Black

Bestial Brown                             Mournfang Brown

Scorched Brown                         Rhinox Hide

Skull White                                 White Scar

Mechrite Red                              Medhiston Red

Boltgun Metal                            Lead Belcher

Mithriol Silver                            Runefang Steel

Chainmail (silver)                        Iron Breaker

Codex grey                                  Dawnstone

Enchanted blue                            Caledor Sky

Colours I Needed

Light yellow                               Averland Sunset

Tan                                              Zandri Dust

Light green                             Castellan Green

Games Workshop – Appleby Village (Tim/Manager)

491 Appleby Line, Unit #9, Burlington, ON, L7L 2Y4

Telephone

905-634-4584

Opening times

Mon

Closed

Tues

11:00-19:00

Wed

Thur

Fri

Sat

Sun

Closed

Oooops, ‘New Branding did NOT move over, should be second column, ‘Kislev Flesh’ and below.

First we tackled two types of common inserts – the 450porsche356 & the 450wire3ko by doing a set of each. All inserts were primed with Tamiya primer then given a shot of Tamiya TS-30 as a base coat.

For the wire3ko set we simply used one liberal application of Citadel ‘Nuln Oil’ Shade applied liberally with a brush to the entire wheel and knock off and then touched up any wanting areas with another application. The same effect can be achieved using Tamiya flat black acrylic diluted significantly. To finish this insert style we painted the knock off chrome using the Molotow liquid chrome 4mm pumpmarker. This insert looks great in a BWA/RS Slot 7mm wheel with a DART DA0201 tyre. A couple of nylon washers were used to position the insert away from the back of the insert cavity.

Next up we used assorted Tamiya brush on acrylics (diluted slightly with Tamiya thinner) to paint the 450porsche356 inserts – the hub, the outside vent holes and the bolts. After everything dried we hit the insert with a liberal wash of flat black (very diluted).

These will pop inside a wheel painted with the same TS-30 colour. Whether you choose to seal the inserts afterwards is your choice, but I usually never bother. Remember to use a touch of white glue to secure your inserts and nylon washers to space them away from the insert cavity…

Cheers to Porsche911 and MiA who each won a set of these finished inserts.

We moved on to tackle the green Sandeman 612 body which will be continued in the Ferrari 612 CAN AM Sandeman thread…

Cheers! Art :good:

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.