• Creator
    Topic

Hand painting driver details – in this session Bill G. will show you what he uses and how he does it and offers his tips and tricks throughout. No need to bring anything but your questions. Pizza for those who are hungry. Session starts at 7:30pm and ends by 10:00pm. You must register for this session.
    [seatt-form event_id=5]

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Such a surprise seeing some of my figure’s, trackside. I alway’s feel a bit of a ‘glow’ when seeing them.

I now feel much closer to you guy’s.

Thanks I don’t get on FB too often but will try and take a look from time to time.

The Bugatti transporter would be great for transporting my type 35.

I’ll also take a look for First Gear trucks. I have a Stake truck that may be from them that I picked up years ago in hopes of using it for a transporter or something.

Cheers

Bill

Anonymous

No, I have nothing to do with them.

I have bought plenty of the FIRST GEAR 1/34 diecast truck’s and re-livered them.

I’ve never bought a 3D printed one. SLOTZ101 has worked on a couple of cardboard one’s and Joost has bought a couple of Transporter’s that are 3D printed.

‘Tis only a small group but we do get some lively conversation’s going and it’s not unusual for us to go “off topic” !

The Transporter you LIKED I can’t even remember seeing before, let alone posting the photo ! LOL

Hope you’ll become a regular visitor.

Michael.

Thanks for the info Michael

I finally got some time to poke around the Mans&Vans FB page. Great stuff. I love the transporters as well myself and have been tempted to buy some on ebay GB that are 3D printed.

are you the person behind those? They would make a great addition to any 1/32 race team. Not sure why Scalextric haven’t done some proper transporters.

cheers

bill

I have to say I’m really impressed with your range Michael.

There is a real shortage of 1/32 figures so you can definitely fill a niche market with these.

Whenever I go to the local slot car shows here figures are the first items scooped up if there are any at all.

Do you get them modeled in a CAD package?

Anonymous

Hi Bill.

Thank you for the compliment’s……

I started producing my own figure’s, purely for me to paint & sell. About 10 year’s ago I got addicted to painting figure’s, then sold them to purchase more figures – paint’s – brushes – etc.

I’ve alway’s used top notch Sculptor’s {apart from the Promo Girls that were produced for 3D printing and ended up being a nightmare, Re; quality. I now produce them in metal.}

I’m just starting to emerge from a two and a half year Depression and ‘debating with myself’ as where to now’ ! I have load’s of “ideas” for Figure’s as well as other item’s but up until now, NO INTEREST or GO in me. (Very Frustrating).

I’m considering starting a new Facebook Group or Forum (preferably) on Scenic 1/32 Motor Sport Figures. I’m also considering attending the SLOT CAR FESTIVAL in the UK as a Manufacturer next year and launching FIGURES132 as a business. It’s just been a Hobby for the past 10 year’s.

Interest and compliment’s are alway’s pleasing to have and go a long way to encourage me forward.

My Facebook group is MANS&VANS {FIGURE’S & VEHICLES} and you are welcome to come have a poke around.

I’m not going to promote / offer my figure’s for sale on here BUT if you are interested my email is [email protected]   Jive me a bell !

Michael.

Anonymous

Finally, my ‘Promo Girl’s’ who unlike other manufacturer’s, aren’t too sexy. Although when first released, they were criticised as being that!  {Ask Bob for the sordid story! LOL )

Again, I’ve not really done that much with these girl’s. I didn’t produce them to “make money” but for me to paint & sell as I got so bored painting & selling the normal Scalextric / MRRC figure’s.

Finally, a few other figure’s I cast and paint…….

Michael.

PS. I hope the picture’s are not too large. I wouldn’t have a clue as to “reducing their size”. Sorry.

I’m just an old man who’s not very IT savvy. LOL

Great stuff Michael! I’m so glad Art has some of your figures on his track.

I had no idea where the photographers came from but have always admired their quality.

Thanks again for posting them!

Cheers

Bill

Anonymous

I’m extremely pleased with these figure’s, although I’ve not really done much with them. I’ve probably sold about 4 so far over the last 2 or 3 year’s !

They are in Resin but if I do decide to promote & sell them, I’ll probably do them in metal in two part’s as they are very fiddly to put together in resin.

I paint the flag’s and then add decal’s.

I’m presently painting two set’s of these, One of them I might do with Mexican Flag’s and Panamericana decal’s.

Anonymous

These are the original seven Photographer’s with 3 Camera Len’s length’s for each body.

The original 7 Photographers.

I had them ‘sculpted’ so I could have extra / different arm’s & Camera’s added to the same body’s.  I now have 19 variation’s.

I’ve recently being playing around sawing the bodies in half and putting different leg’s to the tabard’s and also ‘civilian’ Tee shirted body’s with the camera’s. The combination’s are endless and I’m doing this with the end result of having 100 different photographer’s to display at the next SLOT CAR FESTIVAL in the UK. {Luckily I have nearly a year to achieve my ambition!}.

Anonymous

Hi Art.

Yes, I remember Bob saying he was going to give someone some.  ’tis a small world.

I have 19 variation’s of the Press Photographer’s and three Promo Girl’s, that have different head’s, making 10 variation’s.

I also have some new Resin Figure’s that are really nice. Two spectator’s with a flag over their shoulder and two even newer Promo Girl’s that I’ve not got around to ‘producing’ yet.

As I mentioned in my comment to Bill (F1NUTZ) I didn’t join to promote my figure’s or even mention them. I only ‘cropped’ and mentioned the above photo’s as Bill asked for photo’s and I was delighted when I saw you had some on track.

I’m looking forward to when your shop open’s. Give my regard’s to Bob.

Michael.

Hi Michael,

Yes! One of my close slot car friends who is also a member of scratch32 (‘Bob’) purchased a bunch of white metal figures from you a while ago and gave me those three photographers which I painted and now move around the track from time to time. They are wonderful! The quality and detail of your figures are exceptional and they all have very natural poses!

I’d love to see a catalogue of all of them so I can get more. If you have an online catalogue somewhere you should put a link to it from the New Releases forum or the Resources/How to – Scenerize It sub forum…

Cheers!

Anonymous

I’ve never tried Vallejo paints but would like to.

I particularly like the dropper idea as the citadel paint lids are far from ideal.

I usually use a toothpick to drop paint into a bottle cap.

Michael please post some pics of your figures. We’d love to see them.

thanks

Bill

Anonymous

Hi Bill

I didn’t join to promote my figure’s and at the moment I’m not even selling them.

Maybe at a later date, when I feel more comfortable (not the ‘new boy’) I’ll post some picture’s.

For the moment, I just want to take in all the fantastic photo’s of the cars, especially the Panamericana. W O W

Anonymous

Hello again Bill.

It seem’s that you can see some of my figure’s first hand, “in the Metal” as it were !  {LOL}

Speaking of hand painting…

Anonymous

Ha,ha…… Now you’ve got me !  LOL

Vallejo are recommended as the best brush paint for modelling and made for brush painting.

I have heard that Vallejo make Citadel paint’s BUT can not confirm that as being true.

My guess is that the Vallejo range will probably be superior, if only because of the size difference of the manufacturing. That as well as the fact that Vallejo are a paint manufacturer, whereas with Citadel, it’s only a part of there overall business.

I have over the year’s used / tried a number of different paint’s for Figure’s and will endeavour to write a review.  BUT, it’s always important to point out, we all have favourite’s and preferences and mine may be entirely different to someone else’s.

Thank you for the info Michael!

To the best of my knowledge Vallejo paints are available online for those of us in the GTA – Sunward Hobbies (a Canadian online retailer) and Amazon carry them…

How do their metallic flake paints compare to Citadel? Are they as fine or better?

Anonymous

This sound’s interesting and even if I’d been a member back then, a Trip to Canada from the UK would of probably left me to tired to of taken it all in properly !  LOL

I’m a Figure painter and produce my own line of Figure’s and would of been very interested in the session.  Any photo’s of the work done, etc. ?

I too like the Citadel paint range BUT would like to mention the Vallejo paint range that are cheaper, come in a ‘dropper bottle’ and are probably superior to the Citadel paint’s, that come in pot’s and have to be stirred.  You have to ‘shake’ the Vallejo paint pot’s and use far less paint which is ideal for figure painting.

Re; brushes, I agree a good quality brush is required. Personally, I prefer a slightly larger sized # 1 or 2 with reasonably short bristle’s and a good point. As I “SHAKE” I tend to “prod & push” my brushes rather than pull.

Thanks for the heads up on the paint Michael. As it turns out one of our local stores (Great Hobbies in Mississauga for those interested) has an excellent selection of the Vallejo paint range ( a remarkably full range it seems). Picked up some on my recent visit and I’ll try on my next project.

Thanks for coming out guys and Art for hosting.

It was fun and I picked up a few tips myself.

Another great session. Well done Bill. Thanks for hosting Art. So many excellent ideas. Amazing to see the amount of work that goes into such a small detail. A really excellent format for passing on knowledge!!

That was a tremendous session Bill – thank you for your real-time demonstration on painting technique and ‘how to’! Lots of great tips and tricks that all of us will put to good use in our upcoming projects! Cheers! :yahoo:

Joe was clearly chuffed to win your painted handiwork too – hopefully we’ll see it in one of his models at a Scratch32 event soon…

Art :good:

Hey guys

Looks like we’ll have a good turnout to do some painting.

Here are some of the supplies I recommend. I’ll bring mine so you can see.

Citadel make a great series of paints available from Games Workshop.

the store I go to is near Mavis and Britannia but there are other locations around as well as independant games and model stores that sell them.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Games-Workshop-Heartland-Town-Centre

5955 Latimer Dr #2, Mississauga, ON L5V 0B7

These are made primarily for war games figures and they make a variety of matte and glossy colours as well as some nice metalics.

They are water soluble so clean up easily and dry pretty quickly without odor.

Colours I use most often:

Elf Flesh

Undercoat Black

Bestial Brown

Scorched Brown

Skull White

Mechrite Red

Boltgun Metal

Mithriol Silver

Chainmail (silver)

Codex grey

Enchanted blue

Testor’s Paints

I also like to use Testor’s paints for some gloss colours on helmets for example.

They seem to be a little more durable since they are enamel.

Future is also good for clear coating shiney parts like buckles and helmets.

Other supplies:

I like to use several different brush sizes but try to use good quality brushes and they will last a long time and give great results.

Windsor Newton make great brushes of natural hair or Curry’s makes a line of their own branded brushes which are fairly cheap and decent quility.

Try to get sizes such as:

4/0 or 0000 which is very tiny for details this is probaby the smallest brush size you will find.

3/0 or 000 a little larger

as well as larger brushes.

Some brands of brushes come with a clear tube which protects the bristles during shipping.

I keep these and cap my smallest brushes when not in use to make them last.

With proper care and cleaning good brushes should last many years.

Other supplies:

Small bottle caps or containers for mixing custom colours and shades.

Toothpicks for mixing as well as making small dots and details.

Paper towel/tissue for cleanup

Water and thinner.

More info to come.

Bill

I’ve had a few email enquiries about this session from some without Scratch32 accounts – I urge those without an account to sign up for a Scratch32 account and register for the session if they are still interested. :unsure:

Viewing 21 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.