• Creator
    Topic

Gents,

In response to several inquiries about why some topics or replies aren’t posted or temporarily disappear without explanation I thought it best and most efficient to provide some background information about new member accounts and how new forum topics or replies can be edited.

• All new forum members must have their first new topic AND their first new reply approved by a super moderator prior to either being posted. After a new member has had their first reply approved all of their subsequent replies will be automatically posted.  After a new member has had their first topic approved all of their subsequent topics will be automatically posted. So even if your first topic was approved and you may post new topics automatically, your first reply to any topic will still need approval… They are treated independently.
    • ALL members may edit their own topics and replies within 30 minutes of posting that topic or reply. Edits thereafter may only be made by the super moderator and only then in exceptional circumstances.
    • If a new member’s first topic or first reply is approved and then posted but they choose to edit that previously approved first topic or first reply within 30 minutes of it being posted then it again must be approved since it is treated as a new (and first) topic or reply. This will mean that it will disappear pending approval and any replies regardless of who they are from will receive error messages.
    • The role of the moderator is to perform general forum housekeeping, to keep topics and replies on point and to ensure that offensive or inappropriate topics are dealt with accordingly. Moderators are not proof readers.
    • Over the last several weeks up to and including yesterday experiments with some of the settings in our forums area may have at certain times provided or taken away opportunities to edit new topics and replies so please don’t dwell on your own personal experience over that period. The settings mentioned above are now in place and should remain so for the long haul.

I hope this helps…

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

I would like to add the following to the first point I raised in my post from April 30, 2020 (above):

• It appears that if a new forum member has their first topic approved they can subsequently reply to their own topic (or other replies to their own topic) without requiring approval. They still however need approval for their first reply to any OTHER topic.

Hope this helps… :wacko:

Thanks Art, for your efforts in maintaining the site. It seems to require a great deal of work. Don’t know if you want to hear this but, it doesn’t look like the forum accounts are working as described above. Here are a few examples –

1. Sa May 16, midnight: I posted a reply onto ‘Jag XK120 Carrera Panamericana’, a topic to which I have posted previous replies. It did not post (contrary to the procedures described Apr 30), but it appeared the following day at 8:18 am. By that time it was out of sequence with another reply from Ken. (Since each of these is a reply to a previous post, the sequence is important.)   (post-14793)

2. Su May 17, ~12:30 am; I posted a new topic ‘Symmetric Masking Patterns for painting a car body.’. It did not post (in accord with the procedures), and did appear the following day at 8:18 am.   (post-14794)

3. Su May 17, 12:54 am; I posted a reply onto ‘ Strombecker McLaren M1B ’, a topic to which I have Not posted previous replies. It did post right away, and remained (contrary to the procedures).   (post-14805)

4. Tu May 19, 1:29 pm; I posted a reply onto ‘ 65 AC Cobra ’, a topic to which I have Not posted previous replies. It did post right away, and remained (contrary to the procedures).   (post-14811)

So, it seems there are still some anomalies with the way the forum accounts are working. I can’t help but wonder what the rationale is for holding back the replies in the first place, even those that are the first reply that a member has submitted to a new topic. It certainly can put the member’s reply out of sequence and give it a different meaning than intended; by the time the reply is reviewed and posted, there may have been numerous other replies that had posted automatically.

The procedure also presents an extra burden on the super-moderator; a topic I submitted on Su Mar 29 was not posted until I re-submitted it and was finally posted Su Apr 5. Some topics are time sensitive, for others, a one week delay from submission to posting may well render a different meaning to the topic. It’s not always possible for a moderator to address the posting sooner. We all do our work to contribute information to the forum. With all this in mind, it leaves us with the question of why this procedure of holding back the replies?

Hi Felix,

Thank you for your reply.

2, 3 and 4 appear to me at least to be consistent with my understanding of forum roles and permissions as I’ve described above. 1 is still baffling to me but I will look into it if I have time. There would appear to be some anomaly with your account since earlier I noticed a new topic you recently created that still required approval.

The first topic and the first reply by a new account require approval – subsequent topics and replies should not. If an account continues to have issues then I may need to address the settings for that account. If that doesn’t work then I might delete and re-create that account which would force a server side software reset for all permissions for that account. Beyond that I am not sure what more I can do.

The rationale for requiring approval for the first topic and the first reply from a new account is security/spam related – no more – no less. Any server side breach that would flood the website with ads or offensive topics/replies would create such a mess that I would likely have no choice but to revert to restoring an earlier backup of the forum contents.

Every day our website gets bombarded with hacking attempts and there are three user accounts which are relentlessly targeted. I can only assume that those user accounts may have been targeted because of client side malware or other malicious software, but thankfully the website security is able to defend against those attacks. Server updates occur regularly and server application updates even more often – so strange things can and do happen. :negative:

Thank you for your note, Art. I didn’t know that the forum was being subjected to spam attacks.  Thanks for your clarification that “The first topic and the first reply by a new account require approval – subsequent topics and replies should not.”.  This does make good sense. I must have mis-read the description of the forum procedures outlined in your Apr 30 posting because I had assumed a slightly different meaning. That posting also explains that  “After a new member has had their first reply approved all of their subsequent replies will be automatically posted.  After a new member has had their first topic approved all of their subsequent topics will be automatically posted.”.  Again, this makes good sense, now that I have the correct understanding.

In fact, this means that all of my New Topic Posts and all of my Reply Posts should have been posted directly upon submission. Since, after being in the group for many months, I finally registered onto the forum and posted my first New Topic two years ago, and my first Reply shortly afterwards. Both were approved at that time, so I am certainly not a “new member” and my account is not in the category of a ‘new user account’.

In view of your explanation, I have to revise my summary of recent examples, as well as added a couple of others :

1. Sa May 16, midnight: I submitted a reply onto “Jag XK120 Carrera Panamericana”, a topic to which I have posted previous replies. It did Not post; instead it appeared the following day Su May 17 at 8:18 am. By that time it was out of sequence with another reply from Ken. (Since each of these is a reply to a previous post, the sequence is important.)   (post-14793)

2. Su May 17, ~12:30 am; I submitted a New topic “Symmetric Masking Patterns for painting a car body”. It did Not post; it appeared at 8:18 am.   (post-14794)

3. Su May 17, 12:54 am; I submitted a reply onto “Strombecker McLaren M1B”, a topic to which I have not posted previous replies. It did post right away, and remained.   (post-14805)

4. Tu May 19, 1:29 pm; I submitted a reply onto  “65 AC Cobra”, a topic to which I have Not posted previous replies. It did post right away, and remained.   (post-14811)

5. M May 25, 11:33 pm; I submitted a reply to this current topic, “New User Accounts & Editing New Forum Topics and Replies…”, a topic to which I have not posted previous replies. My reply did post right away, and remained.   (post-14819)

6. M May 25, 11:48 pm; I submitted a New topic post “Airfix 1933 MG K3 Magnette”. It did Not post until W May 27, 6:44 am.  (post-14820)

Therefore, according to the procedure, (“The first topic and the first reply by a new account require approval – subsequent topics and replies should not.”), it looks like examples 1, 2, and 6 are contrary to the forum procedures. These are in addition to the many other contradictory examples previously occurring in my account.

Obviously, there are strange anomalies happening in the way my account is handling my postings, and the effects seem to be random – posted or blocked. This has been happening sporadically since January 2020, with no logical pattern or reason. Has this happened with any other member accounts; if so, how have you corrected those?

Knowing that my first topic and first reply were approved two years ago, it’s obvious according to the procedures, that no one should have to spend time repeatedly approving any of my New Topic posts or Reply posts. It has thrown a few of my replies out of logical sequence with the posts I am replying to.  Again, an unnecessary random delay from submission to posting may well render a different meaning to the reply being posted. I’m sure all can appreciate that it’s increasingly irritating to spend time drafting a topic or reply, in order to contribute to the forum, only to have the posting blocked. It also adds unnecessary work on the part of the moderator. We have discussed this a few times since January. How can we correct this problem?

Thanks again, Art; Stay safe and healthy.

Thank you for your detailed breakdown Felix. Looks like your replies are now posting automatically. Hopefully the same will happen with your next new topic…

Despite the fact that I may not communicate much about any of the background stuff which makes this website run there is a lot going on server side – usually at least one update or upgrade to the server, server software and or applications every couple of days and I’m also regularly tweaking things too.

Gents,

A week or so ago we had a server side software update made by our host and since then several forum accounts again require approval to post new topics and replies. While user roles have not changed the markers for newer accounts seem to have been reset by this update and I do not know why. Until I can sort this out please be patient. For the time being each morning I will manually check to make sure everything is posted properly. :wacko:

For some reason two accounts continue to need approval of replies so bear with me while I try to figure this out…

Three more notes on housekeeping in the forums area:

1. Replies unrelated to a topic but posted within the proper sub forum will be moved into their own topic.
      2. Replies unrelated to a topic and posted in the wrong sub forum will be deleted. The software does not allow moderators to move replies across sub forums.
      3. Replies that hijack a topic with unrelated material will be deleted and repeat offenders will have their accounts deleted. Just start a new topic in the appropriate sub forum – not hard to do.

:good:

Hi Art:

It looks like it’s happening again.  I submitted a reply last night at 8:50 pm, and it did post.  I submitted another post at 10:53 pm and wanted to see it in posted form so I could do any final adjustments, and it did not post.  I did quite a bit of work on it, with step by step descriptions and photos. Total is well below the 1 MB limit, and still did not post. It looks like this is still a recurring problem.

Hi Art

I’m having some of  the same types of issues as Felix. I made a post to an existing topic yesterday morning(which may have gone over the size limit because of  inadvertently choosing the wrong image) and it has not yet shown up but some of  my posts often take a day or more to be visible and some I’ve had to redo several times despite seeming to fit all the specified parameters.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Art:

I re-submitted my post from last night again, this time in two parts, at 11:20 pm and 11:30 pm.  (The original was already far bellow the 1 MB limit.)

It still did not post, neither of the parts; very frustrating after doing all the work to write it!

This last version, in two parts, is final edit, so if you recover any of them, it is the one that should stay posted.        Thanks.

Thank you for noting these issues with our forum. I understand your frustration.

I’ve upgraded your forum membership roles so hopefully you won’t experience the same thing again. I’ve done this with other accounts as a workaround and it seems to fix that issue.

No posts were lost or deleted. I’ll leave it to you to decide which should remain and which should be deleted and or edited.

Thank you for your ongoing contributions to the forums area and I look forward to reading more of them!

:good:

Thanks Art

I’ve deleted a couple of my redundant posts but left one that I still feel works to summarize the recent progress on the roadster chassis. It’s great to see more activity on the board lately. I think it helps to keep up our interest until we can race again. I’m sure everyone appreciates your efforts to keep the board going and operating smoothly, I know I do. I will try to post whenever I have anything that might interest our group. New content is the lifeblood of websites.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Super!

I don’t know if I can live up to my new found responsibilities!  Now I’ll have to moderate myself!  

Thank you for recovering my three submissions from the last two days, and posting them this morning. Since there were already replies to the unedited first one, I decided to keep it, and deleted the edited split posts. I went back and finished the editing to bring it to final format; “Taking Apart Scalextric GP”, hoping that it will be a useful reference.

Thanks again, Art, for all your efforts.      Felix.

Some forum ‘Moderators’ and some regular ‘Participants’ may not have had the black drop down menu enabled for your account – I’ve enabled the drop down menu for all forum Moderators. Any Participant who does not have a drop down menu should contact me and I’ll make that change on a case by case basis, simply based on your request to have it.

To the right of the drop down menu you will see a ‘Howdy [User ID]’ – to make any changes to your account settings (such as forum signature) just pull down that menu and select ‘edit profile’.

Cheers!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.