• Creator
    Topic

Those of you interested in the upcoming Coppa D’oro and more specifically our new pre-war class (PGP/PGP+) have already worked with the new DArt pre-war wheel/tire/insert package. This is the recommended package for the class which comes with a choice of three inserts. Another new option for you:

Using the same wheel I’ve taken two of the 20 spoke inserts and sanded one (the white one in this example) down to a thickness of approx. 1mm and placed it behind an original sized insert (the grey one) to see how it looks. You be the judge. It took me approx. 5 minutes to do this using both a coarse grit sandpaper, finer sandpaper and a sharp exacto knife.

For best results I would suggest that you spray both the spoked inserts with your choice of Tamiya TS (or airbrush acrylic) and the wheels. Adding a black or dark grey wash (or any contrasting colour) to the inside of the wheel will make the spoke detail pop.

Since most of the kits come with centre nuts or knock offs use them to finish the centre…

So this is a fourth insert alternative for those of you building models for the Coppa.

I’ll be using this technique for both the Alfa 8C and the Mercedes SSK wheels that I am preparing for myself.

Those of you who might still need a wheel package let me know – I’ve got 4 or 5 sets completed – now I am working on white tires for early models…

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Sweet! What number are you putting on your SSK? Just so I don’t use the same one.

Alfa is being painted today so I’m getting to work on the SSK… I’m not sure which # yet but have narrowed it down to either #8 (German G.P.) or #34 (Monaco)… either way it will be Caracciola as pilot… in the Monaco race it looks like he is just wearing goggles and a tweed cap…

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Good to know. Doubt mine will be ready any time soon anyway.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.