• Creator
    Topic

Porsche 550 Coupe – 1956

Porsche at 1956 24h Le Mans. #25 RS 550 A/4 (#550A-0104) 1498 cm (Trips / Frankenberg).  Engine 1.5cc.

Working on a chassis.  Need to add interior as well.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

Great work Dave! Art did a lot of work with the ‘donor’ provided to finish at the level it is now. Great to see 1 coming to fruition, I just hope we don’t all build #25, LOL!!! WHen I get around to mine, I think she’ll wear the Panamericana # 154…or at least 1 of them will. ;>)

Und…sehr interessante Informationen

History

https://revsinstitute.org/the-collection/1953-porsche-550-coupe/

https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/2560/Porsche-550-Coupe.html

Wiedersehen!

Another excellent job from Dave’s “House of Porsche!! :good:

Thanks guys.  FYI, I originally wanted to use #24 but didn’t have any decals (no …I don’t make my own :unsure: ).  So I had a Pattos sheet with #25 on it so bingo!

Body mounts put on today plus interior almost ready. The body was a great to work with (so clean – thank you Art) and the paint job came out great.  With a bit of luck from the Gods could debut later this month.

That is one beautiful Porsche! Excellent job!

Kindly post pics of the rest of the build for inspiration? I was fortunate to pick up a coupe from Art last Sunday.

Cheers,

Ken

Thanks Ken.  I will take some snaps before I start putting it together and post them.  I will warn you my chassis builds are pretty ugly –LOL

Here are some more detailed pre assembly pictures.

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.

Wow! That’s amazing! Looks very functional.

Is it made from raw materials cut and bent by your hand?

Do you use metal to keep the CG low?

Pardon the questions. I may be an old Strombecker fart. But I’m a newbie to scratch building slot cars. I used to build race car engines when I worked for Engineered Racing Services back in the early 80’s. I’m also a machinist. I need the education. :mail:

Speed technology is cool on every level. Nice job Dave!

Cheers,

Ken

Hi Ken, welcome – look forward to meeting you sometime.

Based on input from other group members, I use 3/32nd  and 1/32nd piano wire plus 0.032 inch brass sheet/strips.  I made the motor support which is 0.064 brass (soldered two pieces together for extra rigidity).  I use a dremel, hobby chop saw and hobby nibbler to get where I am going.   Motor supports are 1/32 wire.   I have problems with ride height and guide height usually in my builds. This time I think I got it right as it runs very smoothly from my testing this morning.  I used the metal wheels (less the rubber) when soldering in the bushings that gave me my ride height.   I am not much of a measurer hence my self inflicted challenges.   I use a hobby wire bender and it helps me.   The rear loop was an after thought along the  lines of  … “how the *** I am going to attach the rear of the chassis” but it worked out well.

Art is an inspiration and his builds are truly incredible.  Many things you see in my chassis,  I picked up from Art’s builds.  And each build gets a bit better.

Cheers Dave

We all inspire each other in some way. You inspire others with bravery to move out of their comfort zone. Art inspires perfection. Perfection comes from practise.

I need to understand the reason behind the physics before I start cutting material or I will make too many mistakes. I need to learn a bit more.

Thanks and keep up the good work! I look forward to meeting you one of these days as well.

Ken

It will be nice to see your model in person DB – looking very good! As Ken says it is wonderful how we can all inspire one another… thank you for contributing and posting those pictures DB.

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Hey Dave

Not sure if you know or not but if you insert the images using the little rectangular icon that looks like a mountain with a sun at the top of the text box rather than attaching them using the choose file option they actually show up in the body of your post.

Cheers

Bill

Thanks Bill, icon works great!

Looks Great Dave!

I’m hoping we’ll see this little wonder at the next Meisterschaft Dave…

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 13 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.