• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

I’ve had this Revell model of the 550 Porsche Spyder sitting on my shelf for a few years; I decided to build an aluminium chassis for it.  This is one of the aluminium chassis I built myself.  Note, I am using PM brass bushings front and rear.

This model will fall into the unlimited sports car field, it is set up with a Scalextric ff motor in an anglewinder configuration with a 10 pinion, 29 spur.  Nice quiet gear mesh, runs very well, turning lap times equivalent to a stock group C car in its first few laps.  I think there is room for improvement with the addition of some weight.  I may decide to convert it to an inline configuration after some additional testing.  It’s pretty simple with this chassis design, just pop the glued in motor out using a screw driver, mix a new batch of epoxy and glue it in again in the desired configuration.  A 10 to 15 minute process.

The car is set up with MRRC wheels; 13.6 x 5mm fronts and 13.6 x 7 mm rear.  These are very nice wheels, designed to take many different size inserts, they are available with a long or short boss, these have the short boss for easy access and they use a 2.6mm set screw which does not strip very easily.

A great looking model.

Some additional shaping work is required to conceal the chassis it will be cut into a pointed configuration at the rear and painted black.

Look forward to racing this model soon… ZOOM ZOOM!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies

Nice looking build sir.

Looks amazing Jim! :good:

You beat me to the FF-AW idea. You’re a fast builder.

What? No pod? B-)

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.