• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

Sometimes you just want to remove the livery from a nicely painted body before priming. If you do not, then you compromise the quality and adhesion of the new paint, not to mention that you may see the raised edges of the prior tampo afterwards. To do this you can use ‘Super Clean’ – Tough Task Cleaner-Degreaser typically found in a 3.78L purple container:

You can source Super Clean from Canadian Tire, among other retailers. To get your best bang for the buck you can re-use the same fluid on multiple bodies/parts – I like the dollar store clear plastic containers which come in various sizes with a snap on rubber gasket lid – like the 8″l x 5″w x 3″h (I’m guessing there) Betty Crocker storage containers (with the red lid). Let the pieces sit and soak for days (or even a week if necessary). If anything remains remove it with gentle rubbing (or a non-abrasive brush). Rinse in clean water and dry. You’ve now removed traces of the old livery and can either prime/re-paint or apply new decals…

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Now that being said, everything is a crap shoot as most of us who’ve been in this hobby can attest to… so after soaking for more than three weeks here are the results just to confuse everyone a little more…

This was a Fly car body. The rear wing dissolved with the tampo and paint within days. It came out that way – BEAUT! The intake needed a little scrubbing and everything came off after the more than three week dunk. The body needed more scrubbing with my good toothbrush and almost all of it came off but for that black area on top of the wing skirt… so I’ll just prime over that….

…here’s the best news of all… the plastic components are rock solid and not compromised in any way at all (not like alcohol, turpentine or acetone)…

So… one car… three different results… just like the hobby itself…

Be patient, plan ahead, and enjoy! B-)

A follow up for those of you with SCX Formula cars which have those bright and shiny ‘chrome’ parts such as wheels, mirrors, exhaust, motor/intake/transmission… Just drop them in your tub of Super Clean and after 1 hour you’ll get:

Rinse and dry and ready to prime… the above pieces are from a 1971 SCX Tyrrell which I will be re-assembling for the upcoming Ringwood. Removing the finish on these parts revealed original detail on the plastic pieces which I hope to preserve using my airbrush… also note the windscreen which was also dunked with the other parts – the ‘SCX’ tampo came off…

The wheels and mirrors will be replaced with more accurate pieces but it never hurts to have extra bits for other projects if the need arises…

Cheers! – Art :yahoo:

Great way to get back to a clean starting point! Do the parts need to be roughed up a bit prior to priming or can they be left as is and just prime?

Thanks for posting. :good:

Super Clean has saved my bacon more often than I would like to admit. No one sees my failures because of this stuff (except me). Nothing like totally starting over when you ruin a paint job.

Art. Thank you very kindly for this very useful tip.

If anyone doubt’s their fresh paint. Don’t hesitate. Lacquer is time sensitive. The faster you get it in Super Clean. The easier it works. Leave the paint on for more than a week and you’ll need a credit card to scrape the paint off even after 3-days of soaking in Super Clean.

One more thing. Super Clean loosens Epoxy bonds. You’ll need to re-glue any parts that required Epoxy. Good thing epoxy lifts off fairly easily after Super Clean.

MIA. In my humble experience. If you’re stripping an old livery. Best to water-sand with 2000-grit before paint. If the body has been sanded and you’re stripping a mistake to re-paint. It should not need sanding again. Just wash the body after the Super Clean and paint it.

Viewing 3 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.