Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic

Hey guys

While this is not an entirely scratch built car the body is completely redone to turn it into a McLaren.

I started by disassembling the Eagle and stripping it using Super Clean then did some bodywork to fill some holes on the eagle and profile the nose a little.

I also opened holes in front of the windshield and carved a new panel line there to be a little more accurate to the McLaren.

Engine block was also ground down so I could convert it from an 8 cylinder Ford to a 12 cylinder BRM

I then sprayed the body red  and started fabricating engine detail parts.

Custom parts included roll bar, oil cooler and mount, magneto, overflow canister, ignition coil, intake manifold and a new smaller windshield.

I also sourced some metal ferrules to use as BRM inlet trumpets and a visor less head from D’art that looks a little more like Bruce Mclaren than Dan Gurney.

Then it was time for reassembly and decals.

I assembled the entire car back onto the repainted Scalextric Eagle Chassis but if Art chooses to mold them they could form the basis for a nicely detailed scratch build.

Cheers

Bill

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Beautiful work Bill, GREAT creation!!! :good: :good: :good:

Thanks It’s an oldie but I couldn’t find the post from when I made it originally  so I thought I would repost it here.

Here’s Bruce in the real thing.

Very nice Bill.  I like that a lot.

Excellent model!!! :good:

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Spectacular Job!! :yahoo:

Thanks!

Hopefully you can see how the bits go together Art from the rear angle.

If not and you want to mold the engine parts I can show you next time I see you how they go together.

Unfortunately I can’t remove the other rear bodywork pieces because it is all glued together.

If you mold the body I can fabricate the pieces onto that if you want then people can remove them if they want to use the eagle chassis or keep them on for a scratch body.

or you could do them as separate pieces that get glued on?

Bill. Very cool looking car! Nice job on the build!

Another picture of the M5A:Notice Bruce McLaren’s helmet detail too…

F1nutz,

Good news! I’ve got all the parts molded – I just need to make a new mold for the rear section of the bodywork (or the complete body). This will be the next and last thing I need to do apart from the helmet…

Very cool!

I look forward to seeing the pieces.

I’ll bring up my M5A next time I’m there.

I’m pretty sure I used one of your existing helmets.

Viewing 9 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.