• Creator
    Topic

The Spanish company Pegaso is well-known for its trucks, busses and tractors but many people don’t know that for a period of 7 years, the marque took a jaunt into the world of sportscar building – resulting in this, the Pegaso Z-102.

This beautiful little car is the only Saoutchik Cabriolet Pegaso Z-102 Series II ever made, the coachwork on the body is jaw-dropping from every angle and the factory model was fitted with a 165hp, 2,814 cc quad-overhead camshaft V-8 with a 2-barrel Weber carburettor implies that it also has the legs to make it a hell of a fun drive.

It was decided that the chassis, drivetrain and engine would all be built in house by Pegaso and then the rolling units would be shipped off to
    coachbuilders to have bodies fitted – in the tradition of pre-WWII automakers. This one-off Z-102 Series II Cabriolet was built by Saoutchik and
    was arguably the most beautiful of the 88 or so cars ever made by the company.

In 2013 this model went for $700,000 USD at auction.

Cut and paste this link on your browser to view it.   https://youtu.be/S1R2KPRz_B8

Some links with information and photos

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Paris_-_Retromobile_2014_-_Pegaso_Z-102_Série_II_cabriolet_-_1954_-_001.jpg

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Pegaso_Z-102

THIS BUILD

The body of this model is from the Pegaso Collection by Top Slot.  It’s a highly detailed & finished resin body with a production run of only 300 worldwide.  The model came with an MRRC Seabring chassis which didn’t work very well with this heavy 50+ gram resin body.  I replaced the original chassis with a custom aluminum chassis and used my Dremel tool to carve out a lot of excess resin material under the hood, to give this model a chance at being a decently performing slot car.   The following are some photos of the model and the aluminum chassis.  White wall tires are Dart tires.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Hi Jim,

That is one sharp looking car!

Quite the original.

That car looks too pretty to race!

Various models of the Pegaso raced at two LeMans races, and also at Carrera Panamericana in 1954. The base model Z-102 had a top speed of 120 mph (192 km/h). In supercharged trim the Z-102 could reach a top speed of 151 mph (243 km/h), making it one of the world’s fastest production cars at that time.

I agree, this model is too beautiful to race.  Given it weight, Its will likely just be a Sunday drive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegaso_Z-102    Check this link for the Pagaso racing history

Great looking car JMSracer!

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

What a beauty! Nice work Jim!

Hi JMSracer,

Your model looks awesome! It isn’t about speed…

If I may offer a suggestion:

When building your model you are truing down your white wall tires too much – likely to accommodate your fixed motor and front guide position for the slab aluminium chassis…

Typically when I start a build I true my tires/wheels first for the look of the model and then accommodate them using my wheel blocks to create my chassis…

Not sure what the solution is for a slab chassis but perhaps bending the front to raise the guide height might be one approach…

Slab chassis have numerous limitations but they work well for low power motored models so I understand your preference.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers!

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

I realize that I may have over trued the WW tires a touch but if you compare the actual car, they are close, the profile of the tire is almost entirely WW. There is always a tradeoff when trying to keep the chassis as low to the track as possible to achieve a low COG.  I’ll definitely take less material off on my next build-your WW tires are fantastic.  I appreciate your suggestion.

Thank you for your comments everyone.

Superb creation! I know the models themselves are beautifully constructed, but, it’s all in the assembly…Magnifico! The only thing I’d suggest is perhaps placing a bottle of Chianti and Baguette in passenger seat, or better, on a Bella ragazza’s lap!! :>)

Viewing 8 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.