• Creator
    Topic

Stumbled on this movie tonight. Kind of a precursor to Grand Prix.

Pretty cheezey, melodramatic story but it features colour footage of the 61 or 62 F1 season. A lot of it is sped up unfortunately but still worth checking out. Monaco, Spa, Rouen, Reims and Aintree are featured. Lots of pit lane and paddock shots.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NKTmrpVtz6M&pp=ygUQVGhlIHlvdW5nIHJhY2Vycw%3D%3D

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies

I was not aware of this movie so I just finished watching it.   I noted that it was directed by Roger Corman, known for doing B Movies.

What struck me was The Young Racers starts off at Monaco, just like Grand Prix.  The other thing was the race announcer sounded like the same one in Grand Prix.  I wonder if John Frankenheimer took clues from The Young Racers and with a big budget, spiced it up to produce what some consider one of the best racing movies.

Hey Gary

Yes there certainly are a lot of parallels to Grand Prix.

Interestingly a young Francis Coppola is also listed in the credits as the sound man.

Les Baxter famed for his tiki exotica music is also credited as the music composer.

Roger Corman was also involved in helping produce the original Gone in 60 Seconds and I thought I read somewhere that he also did some of the stunt driving!?

He certainly had an interesting career.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.