• Creator
    Topic

Version II of the Zing debuted last Saturday:

This version incorporates a few lessons learned from the first one along with some new features. I also abandoned a few ideas I had after building the original…

Made from painted RAM board this portable track has an approximate footprint of 17′ x 8′ and despite the small size and simple layout it packs a lot of racing fun in the space.

With a half turn of each of the border wall barrier screws the borders themselves can be removed and the track rolled up so that it can be put away or transported. Slide the borders into the 8′ long roll and it all fits neatly into a minivan or SUV…

As for the track itself average track width is 30″ – more than enough. Track borders are made from 7/8″ high painted flexi-ply covered with non-marking 2mm black and white EVA foam which was hot glued to the flexi-ply. The walls follow the contour of the track therefore impacts tend to be glancing, not head on. For this reason thicker foam padding wasn’t used especially at the ends of the layout but can be added if further testing warrants. Time will tell.

The borders are fixed to the cardboard edges by sliding them onto the cardboard and then tightening the screw in each mounting block – one per block – each spaced roughly 12″ apart – so that the screw bites into the cardboard pressing it against the base of the block itself. Remarkably these borders still have some flex too.

Two sets of curbs define two racing lines – one more challenging than the other – use all of the same ones or mix them up. Movable red/white and black/white tire stacks placed inside either curb section deter short-cutting. While the red/white inner curbing uses ‘bumpy’ 2mm thick EVA foam the outer black/white curbs are just painted. Curbs on the outside of the main straight also provide a safe lane for slower cars to allow faster ones to pass so dealing with lapped traffic should be straightforward especially on such a short track.

The flat acrylic paint offers the perfect amount of grip – not too much to flip a car.

This track is somewhat bumpy but not at the seams. I made the mistake of painting it AFTER joining the sections… if you paint the board then join them you will get a smooth surface. Joints were made by adding a 5″ wide painted strip of the same RAM board on the underside of the joint and both halves of the track were stuck snuggly together on top. Duct tape was also used underneath on both long edges of the 5″ strip. I’m happy with the seams – and added a few to test other techniques – including some sloppy ones to see if they had any adverse impact. So far not…

The bumps that exist are gentle ‘rolling’ ones and therefore manageable – they don’t upset the direction of the car since the tires never lose contact with the surface – so no sudden changes in direction or unpredictable behaviour. It is fascinating to me to see the suspension do what it was designed to. I find it quite pleasing to watch the model negotiate an imperfectly flat track surface.

This track runs well in both directions although my preferred direction is counter-clockwise.

There is no pit lane yet but one can be added easily… we’ll see…

For timing I used the Android app ‘LapTrax’ which uses the camera and tracks cars by colour as they cross the start/finish line – it works fine so far but this isn’t a long term solution. When the time comes I’m leaning towards using EasyLap hardware with micro transponders. Trakmate has a timing solution as well but I’m not that keen to use it myself for several reasons.

After all of the moveable/removable tire stack clusters are added scenery will be made for the infield and then billboards to surround the outside corners then some sort of pit area/grandstand detail – whether pictures or lightweight facade… stay tuned… provided I don’t head straight into the table top version next… perhaps a combined 1:24 slot car track and Mini-Z track… who knows…

While racing the 1:27.5 Group C and GT models is a great start I see adapting 1:24 model kits to the Mini-Z platform as the future – Classic LeMans but RC 1:24 scale!!! Imagine!!! A Porsche 917/10 head to head against a Ferrari 512 Coda Lunga… hmmmm… who says it can’t be done?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Wow! Looks great Art! Sorry I missed it.

A few updates to test:

More removable borders added to the infield. Now the whole track is walled – inside and out – with a forgiving EVA foam covered wall which won’t scrape the paint on any car body. The painted wall itself has movement too because it is made from flexi-ply.

Painted concrete coloured patches now cover what were originally the black and white ‘pro’ curbs. These patches were painted with an eggshell acrylic which offers much less grip than the flat latex – similar to the painted floor surface at Nova Ridge. The result creates two racing lines through all corners – an inside and an outside line – miss the inside line and run a little wider. Note the painted ‘cracks’ to age this track…

Foam blocks set against the wall on the straight offer protection for models in the pit lane – and the weight of hockey pucks keep them in place.

Gaps in the wall barriers have EVA foam inserts fitted. Urethane tire stacks help keep racers away from the pit area.

Start finish line made using some white duct tape covered with orange adhesive sheet from Michaels. Sticks well and looks great!

Lots of experimental joints in this section of track. Coloured epoxy was also used as a test patch should the cardboard surface be damaged. Lots of painted cracks give the section a weathered and worn look. The only thing not yet done was to airbrush the racing line, shade the edges and curbs and add more cracks…

All sorts of joints were tested and the smoothest ones were the most labour intensive. Various quality of adhesives and double sided carpet tape were tested too. Conclusion: you get what you pay for – no surprise.

Even a larger gap in a joint is no problem for the Mini-Z models to traverse. Here I used black automotive GOOP to fill in a wide otherwise unfinished joint.

This closeup of the outside of the wall barrier shows what I made to fix the walls to the edges of the cardboard track. One screw pierces the cardboard pressing it firmly against the bottom of the wall support. When finished you can loosen the screw and slide the wall support off of the cardboard track. Roll up the track and move it somewhere else.

You can also walk on the track – the thick cardboard and paint layer are very durable so long as you avoid damp conditions. Fortunately my basement is very dry. Just give it a vacuum and you are good to go!

F1nutz and I tested the track for several hours – he with his Acura and his Grp C – and I with my Lark McLaren and Grp C – and I had a blast running both of my models! Looks like the Mini-Z platform is here to stay!

I also received my order from Barrie RC with assorted RWD parts and both the Toyota GT One and Mercedes Sauber C9 white body kits. The Mercedes is now out of stock and along with the Porsche 962 looks to be very hard to find. I have no doubt that the same will be true for the Mazda 787B white body kit and the Toyota GT One in the near future. At least with one of each I have the option now to make more.

I’m also working towards mating 1:24 model kits to the RWD Mini-Z platform. The Grp 5 Lancia Stratos Turbo by Tamiya may be my first – with a wheelbase of 90mm I’ll be able to use the RM pod in a stock configuration but I will need to offset the wheels to make up for the wide track both front and rear. Can’t wait since I’ve got everything I need now to get it done…

As for the portable Zing II track – testing and experimentation is complete and went very well – the small size and painted cardboard material exceeded my own expectations making it a very worthwhile endeavor. Next up a painted concrete floor version in what is currently The Ring race room. It’s been a long and great run with The Ring and it served well but my focus is shifting away from that sort of thing. It was fabulous to run laps this past Monday with a few others who also share my passion for racing history in my favourite slot car classes: Classic LeMans, 1970’s Grand Prix and CAN AM. A very fitting and enjoyable way to close out this chapter.

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Looks awesome, would like to see it in use. I don’t need another hobby, I don’t need another hobby, I don’t need another hobby…… :>)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.