• Creator
    Topic

Gents,

As a heads up and given that the Vanski motor has been unavailable for many, many years now – we will be the first group in Southern Ontario to eliminate these motors from our Scratch32 and R32 1950’s & 1.5L Grand Prix classes. This will have no effect on sportscars where they will continue to be permissible. We’ll focus on the definition of ‘low power motors’ to effect this change…

Over the winter you might want to consider moving some of your inventory to other groups – where they will be sought after…

Cheers!

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Newbies are happier the playing field just evened out a bit.

Not good news for anyone that has a secret stash of these motors.

Just wait until the brushless motors hit the slot car market. Something the size of a pencil eraser that weighs nothing will go as fast as a flat-6. Scary thought. It’s one thing to have a car hit the floor. It’s another when they leave dents in the drywall. Splat!

Time marches on.

Ken

Hmmm, I’m not sure how our ‘group’ arrived at this decision, as I don’t recall it being discussed, though I don’t participate as often as some.

From what I can see on the Model db, there at least 13 cars that will need to be ‘re-fitted'(likely more)…. To a degree, I can understand the rationale if there is not an ‘easily sourced’ motor, however, I would think that many of the existing car owners have perhaps not a stash, but a few, and may be willing to part with 1, or 2, or, perhaps a similar powered motor could be introduced, and ‘Grandfather’ the Vanski…Regardless, before an edict banning the motor in 2 classes, discussion and decision on suitable replacement should have occurred.

Just my not so humble $.02 worth.

This decision was made by me after many years of feedback and consideration. When we discussed our hot rod class many years ago this was already an issue. We agreed back then to limit the motor for hot rods to one which was available – as we did more recently with our PGP class.

I’ve gone through complete bans like was done with Ortmanns. I’ve gone through the inclusion of better motors which rendered existing motors obsolete, such as the NC1. In both of those transitions those with a ‘stash’ were basically screwed. This is not the case here – since the Vanski is still the best slim can (FF050) motor allowed in the sportscar class and therefore the opportunity and incentive to use them in that class remains very high. So I see no reason for anyone who has a stash of Vanski motors to complain.

As for grandfathering – consider the implementation deadline I suggested in my topic header – May, 2019 as the cut off… call it grandfathered or a deadline – I don’t see the difference since it is far enough away.

This is one of those few topics where a majority or consensus approach will never work – it needed to be done and we’ve delayed that decision long enough. Other groups will still permit the use of that motor in their Grand Prix cars so there are plenty of other opportunities out there. Other groups have searched for a replacement Vanski already – which has only led to chaos.

Newer builders and racers have enough challenges to deal with already. They don’t need the disadvantage of a slower motor nor be at the mercy of others for handouts. The frustration they feel far outweighs the slight inconvenience of swapping a Vanski with a BWMS050 motor for the rest of us.

Over the past year I’ve given away brand new & UNTESTED Vanski motors as door prizes and I’ve sold brand new & UNTESTED Vanski motors to anyone who wanted them – I even sold some at the last Group25 show. To the best of my knowledge no one else has offered up any of their Vanski motors either for free or for sale…

To date no one has offered a satisfactory alternative nor long term solution better than what we are finally doing…. so be it – whether any of us like it or not.

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • The forum ‘R32 Class Criterium’ is closed to new topics and replies.