• This topic has 18 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

I saw a kit like this on EBay and it made me curious if there was a real Aston that looked like the one on the box? Or could the drawing be a little off?

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

Nice sleuthing F1nutz!

After doing some homework. Here’s what I found out.

It turns out that at the time in 1966. Several companies were puzzled that Lindberg somehow managed to earn the rights to make an Aston Martin DP214 as a 1/32 model kit. I suspect they were the first, or only company to ask?

I like rare kits, and rare cars. This one fits the bill. An incredible looking car in my opinion.

From the rear it looks like a Shelby Daytona before it even existed.

Too bad it hasn’t been re-released recently.

It would look great in an historic livery!

I spoke too soon!

Look at these 2 monstrosities:

They might be a cheaper source for the kit though ;^)

Very cool finds F1nutz.

I found an unopened Lindberg kit from 1966 but the seller won’t ship to Canada. It looks like the chassis will need a lot of work to separate the lower body/chassis into 4-parts to make room for a slot car chassis.

Probably easiest to glue the whole base then cut out what’s needed from there.

This model is a superb find Ken! I agree with F1nutz – glue it together then Dremel/cut most of it out… that’s often the process I use when making a body kit shell… just make sure to reinforce any joints that appear thin or weak with some epoxy at the openings before cutting…

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

F1nutz and Art. Thank you very kindly for the good advice. I will gladly follow it once I can find a way to get the kit from my niece in Buffalo. I need to wait for the border to re-open. Something to do with a world class toilet paper shortage based on Youtube videos.

That pink Aston is umm… pink! :wacko:

I’ve looked at several of this creators kits over the years, some very interesting models, though have never purchased…I have too many D’Art builds to start! :yahoo:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164135487252

Forgot to mention, for ‘Disco Mike Volare’, there is a ‘Disco Volante’ kit! :yahoo:

Thank you very kindly for the link Porsche911. Some very different cars on that site.

The Disco thing is a strange car. It looks heavy. The site says resin bodies. Many of the bodies on the site look a bit clunky and heavy on the inside/interior. It looks a bit like someone created a 3D template and started molding copies. 3D printers still have difficulty making the interior side of the body panels thin. But I like the VW Karmann Ghia. It’s different.

Just about all the D’Art bodies are a dream to build. All the D’Art bodies I’ve built so far are super light (9-cars). My build threads show every detail including my mistakes. In fact it was my fear of making a mistake that initially prevented me from starting my first car. When I finally jumped. It was quite liberating. :yahoo: My advice is… Just jump. But, pick a less expensive body kit so the whole thing can be replaced without too many tears.

The best part about building a D’Art body is… We know the maker of spare parts. If you mess something up very badly, you can can get almost anything you want. :good:

I look forward to the new D’Art McLaren M5A and Watson Indi-500 racer. :yes:

If you’re interested in the Karman, I might have 1….I did buy 1 years ago, and perhaps from this vendor, it is an ‘Ocar’ kit, and from what I recall, perhaps more like 1/30…Just don’t remember if I sold it at a show a few years back or not…

Thank you very kindly for the offer Porsche911. I do appreciate it!

However. I have so many cars right now that I’m trying to sell some. I need to focus on the direction of what I really want to build in the future. Please check classifieds.

I look forward to Art’s next few cars. I’m trying to slow down buying, and build what I got. That’s a task in itself.

An unopened 1966 Lindberg “Aston Martin Project DP214 R2 ” model kit is a bit of a rare fluke or it would not have tempted me.

Motorific also made a Ghia that is pretty close in scale to 1/32

Thank you F1nutz. I know what brands to consider in the future. I have two ARII Porsche 911s and an SRC Porsche 914 to build yet. That will have to satisfy the German in me for now (0.02%).

I really love German Bratwurst though. :yahoo:

It finally arrived. Based on the condition of the box, it’s more spotless than I could have imagined. Seems it was truly un-opened from the skin-pack since 1966. They considered a rubber band a “motor” back in those days. Very strange… You pulled the car back and it jumped forward. Then it reversed at the end of the rubber band’s travel. Too funny.

The innocent days when things weren’t expected to go up in price. They printed the price right on the box.

This is the kit. It came with 2-screws to fasten the body to the chassis. Fancy.

The instructions show the Aston sporting the snow-tires that came with the kit.

The parts to make a slot car alone weigh 31-grams. This is about making an interesting car. That’s about it.

Again, excellent find Ken! I’m sure it will look and race exceptionally well! BTW, how did you get this one since the border is still closed?!?

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Thank you very kindly Art. I hope it will at least look interesting.

My niece was kind enough to mail it to me. It’s the only way these days.

Viewing 17 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.