• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Avatar photoJoe.
  • Creator
    Topic

Prewar open wheel cars anyone ?

After the Can Am I took the opportunity to test my new Airfix Bugatti. This project has been on and off the bench for the last 10+ years.

Considering the narrow tires and wheels and high ride height this simple wire chassis went better than expected.

Lap times in the high 7 seconds.

Present motor is an unusual half length narrow can which I wanted to try out.

I’m going to switch it out for a BWA for comparison for the next test.

Wheels and inserts are from Studio 64. Wheels are actually cast in a hard resin which I drilled and tapped for set screws. They seem strong enough to not slip on the axle in this low speed application.

Tires are D’art hobbies special order. Molycote chrome pen was used for some of the metallic highlights.

Strangely the kit came with 2 left windscreens and no rt. so I custom fabricated a mount in order to position the windshield in the more streamlined down position on the right side as it was often raced.

It had pretty good torque but not a lot of braking.   Maybe why our driver needs the hand brake lever outside the car.

It also needs some race numbers. Thinking I might number it with 22 of 1930 Monaco race winner Rene Dreyfus who famously defeated favorite Louis Chiron by using an extra added fuel tank to avoid stopping in the pits.

Video here:

Thanks to Art for his great photos!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

A really nice model that runs superbly F1Nutz! Cheers!

I see the makings of a new class here – perhaps:

• mandatory years of eligibility TBD;
      • mandatory ‘low power’ motor (such as a BWMS050) TBD;
      • maximum overall width TBD;
      • minimum clearance (except for the guide the balance of the model and chassis must clear a block) TBD [perhaps 4mm?].

MiA is working on another pre-war model and we’ll compare… For the time being F1Nutz – could you provide the clearance and width of your model?

FYI – DArt has the same Bugatti inserts and a more generic wire insert with centre hole to accept any knock off – both measure 14.30 mm (.564″) in diameter…

Great Model!!! :yahoo:

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

That is really a very nice model.

Lovely creation Bill, all I think the pilot needs is his Ascot…. “I said Pardon”! :yahoo:

Spectacular job F1Nutz!! I’m sorry I left before seeing it run!! :scratch:

From the same era as the Bugatti, and from another old Airfix kit, the 1930 4 1/2 Litre Blower Bentley is moving along, almost done, except for some proper size wheels/tires and a few small accessory bits and touch ups before it’s ready to try on the track. Visually, it’s a monster compared to your sweet little Bugatti. Driven by Sir Henry “Tim’ Birkin himself. Should be fun to see them on the track together!

With the current slightly smaller size build wheels/tires, clearance is around 4mm (attempted to have the axles come out from the car in the correct location), width at outside of fenders will be about 47 & 54 mm. and sir Henry will sit about 47mm (about 60 1:1 inches) off the track! Certainly not GT40 esque dimensions.  Hopefully it will parade serenely around the track in proper British fashion!! More to follow on completion.

1930 LeMans pits, 2 blower Bentley’s in for tea!

Thanks guys

I look forward to seeing the Bentley completed MIA. I have several of the Scalextric version and I think an Airfix or Matchbox kit as well that could be built.

The Bugatti 35B was originally raced ~1926-1930

Matchbox also made a couple of kits that would fit the same era.

An Aston Martin Ulster ~1936-1940:

And a Mercedes SSKL~1928-1932:

Food for thought…

I’ll get back to you with measurements a little later.

Bugatti wheel width is 1.77 inches or 45 mm

Ride height 5mm

Thanks Bill!

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Wow cool build Bill !!! I have a Betta fibre glass 1950 Alfa that’s been sitting waiting ,your car has given me some inspiration to start working on it. I guess 1950 would have to run in a different class though.

Joe

Viewing 7 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.