Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic
    [seatt-form event_id=49]

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Gentlemen racers, a gentlemanly reminder…DON’T forget to wear your Poppy!!

I kept repeating to myself all day “if the weather improves… I’m going racing”. It’s been getting worse all day. Google maps says 2-hours minimum one way (66 kms door to door). The brunt of snow is supposed to fall between 5pm and 9pm. If I dare make it to the race. I still need to get home after. :wacko:

I regret that I must cancel due to bad weather. :negative:

My humble apologies Porsche911. I was really looking forward to racing at the Spa! 😥

I sure hope you’re back in the groove so to speak? That way I might get another chance?

Ken

It was an evening fit neither for man nor beast!! As the song goes “the weather outside was frightful… but inside the track was delightful.” Well maybe it didn’t go quite like that. :wacko: Regardless several brave souls ventured out into the storm for an opportunity to race once again at the legendary Spa-Lyons!! While the winter driving was no fun, the upside was that fewer people meant plenty of practice and track time on a venue we hadn’t visited in almost a year, and one near and dear to me personally. :heart:

After a relaxed practice period, where several “sorry can’t make it” or “I think I’m in a ditch” calls were received, first up was Sports Cars:

The field took the track led by a Jag XK120 roadster, a Porsche 912 and a Ferrari 275P. It looked like the Porsche would have to punch well above it’s engine capacity.!!

When the dust had settled the Jag had gone 60 laps, the Porsche 56 and the Ferrari 54 laps. Owners/Drivers for this vintage event were not recorded. Nevertheless, it was a satisfying victory for the British home team on a blustery Remembrance Day evening.

Next up was good old American iron!!

The Rainbow Warrior (#24), Dewalt Tools(#17) and Lowes Sponsored Jimmy Johnson (#48) took the green!

In a few laps Jimmy had driven the wheel right off his car!! Completing almost half a lap before coming to rest and declaring, “something’s wrong”! A loose wheel nut during a pit stop was determined to be the cause!! His opponents felt that the only loose nut out there was behind the wheel??!!  Tony the Tiger filled in for the rest of the race.

Finishing first was the DuPont Paint liveried ‘Rainbow Warrior’ of Jeff Gordon with 65 laps. The Dewalt Tools car of Matt Kenseth and the fill in ride of ‘Tony the Tiger’ both completed 60 laps, with Kenseth nudging out Terry Labonte’s raging Tiger by 1.5 seconds!!

Then the Classic LeMans cars took to the track.

This time it was an all Porsche event with a 917LH (#21), a 907LH(#52), and a 907K (#276) heading out to challenge Spa.

It was not entirely inappropriate that the horrendous weather outside had scattered a few errant poppies onto the track.

An excellent race ensued, and eventually Porsche 917LH (#21) driven by Elford/Larrousse dominated with a whopping 70 laps!! The 907LH(#52) of  Siffert/Herrmann completed 65 laps while the 907K (#276) driven by  Koch & Dechent, completed 63 laps.

Then the Group ‘C’ cars took to the track to close out the evening.

Around hot Tub corner they flew, stopping only occasionally to enjoy the scenery. :yahoo:

When the chequered fell, the #14 Canon sponsored Porsche 956C of Palmer, Lammers and Lloyd had covered 73 laps, while the #6 Martini sponsored Lancia LC2 of Martini, Barilla &  Wollek diced with the #27 Porsche 962C KH driven by Okada & Dickens for 66 laps each, eventually edging it out by 2.5 seconds!

It was a great return to Spa-Lyons after almost a year’s hiatus. Thanks to our host Drew and his wife Nancy for their hospitality (and warm cookies) on a very inclement November evening! Kudos to Luis for making the drive up from Hamilton on a very miserable night.

Bonus Spy Shot:
          As the evening drew to a close there were unconfirmed reports that an unknown driver had taken the opportunity to attempt a few shakedown laps in a partially outfitted car. He was quickly black flagged off the course by the marshal’s. Maybe more about this incident later. :unsure:

Hopefully it will not be too long before we return to sample the pleasures of Spa. B-)

Excellent race report and pics MIA.

Nice looking Porsche 550 too!

Darn the crappy weather.

Thank you MiA for taking the time, and effort to pen, and post the prose and pictorial; great reportage and Photo’s! I think Luis would be a strong contender for the Iditarod, well done!! Will try and host again before the New Year.

Cheers! Well Done! :good:

Can’t wait to hit the curves of Spa!

It’s not the quantity of drivers. It’s the quality of friendship. Looking forward to trying out the Spa for the first time.

Luis told me he’s coming. He’ll register as soon as he sets his soldering iron down. Poor guy is learning how to build cars by osmosis.

That’s 5 racers so far. :good:

Well put Ken, however, the demands of Spa warrant at least 2, ideally 3 Marshall’s as a minimum, so glad we’ll have 2 for sure. I have invited a guest racer, who has spun many laps at Spa, and is pretty darn quick and consistent, so hopefully he’ll make the pilgrimage, from across the street!

Looking forward!! Now to tune some cars, scrub the dust off!!

Your wish-list has been fulfilled Porsche911. 7-friends including your neighbour. It would have been 8 had Racer68 been available.

Is SP+ being run as well? It’s just a small, little car.

To clarify, R32 schedule/rules, Fantastic Plastic only, but bring what you’ve got, however, to answer question, slow motor only for SP.

Just to help clarify – R32 “SP” class rules allow ‘any’ inline chassis with a low power motor. There is no restriction to plastic chassis but the configuration must be inline and weigh at least 75g:

SP & SP+ Sportscars – ‘Open’ Inline ‘Low Power’ Motor OR ‘Open’ Unlimited
                  (will race together in any SP race but will be scored separately)
                  SP1. Eligible Models: Any 1950’s or 1960’s era Sportscar (production or prototype) that competed
                  in past endurance races. NOTE: ‘endurance’ should be interpreted to mean 24hr, 12hr, 6hr,
                  1000k or Multiple Stage races;
                  SP2. SP – Any inline chassis;
                  SP+ – Any chassis in any configuration;
                  SP3. SP – ‘Low Power’ motors: BWA BWNC1 or Ninco NC1, Ninco NC8 or BWA BWMS050 or
                  Vanski FF050 motor;
                  SP+ – Any motor;
                  SP4. Chassis may be braced and strengthened using any material;
                  SP5. Wheels – maximum 14mm diameter representative of a period race wheel with appropriate
                  wheel/insert detail;
                  SP6. Rear Tires: Any appropriately sized DArt club urethane replacement tire.
                  SP7. Maximum width of body not to exceed 57mm;
                  SP8. SP – Minimum overall weight of 75g;
                  SP+ – No minimum overall weight;
                  SP9. Optional modifications: ANY provided these class rules and General Rules for an ‘Open’
                  class are met.

The current R32 rules (v4.1) are ‘stuck’ to the top of the R32 sub forum. To go to the topic click here. Hope this helps… Cheers!

Thank you very kindly for the clarifications Gentlemen. I will leave the SP+ in the garage tomorrow. Fred Steinbroner to the rescue.

Looking forward to it. :good:

Totally understood, and appreciate the heads up…seems I have the ‘Megaddon’ events..If you care to look at old R32 events here, there’s been Snowmeggadon, SLushmeggadon, Stormeggadon weatherwise, and 1 or 2 Argumagageddons too!! Next time we’ll see you here :good:

Viewing 11 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.