• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

Fangio and Bronzoni won the 1953 Carrera Panamericana in their number 36 D24 Lancia. The slow motor classes are some of my favorites so I thought I’d give o’l number 36 a try. When finished this car should qualify for both our 50’s sports car and our Carrera Panamericana classes. D24Chassis

The body is 3D printed in Elegoo ABS like resin from a file I purchased online. The chassis was designed and printed by me in PLA+ on my FDM printer. The body weighs 10.5 grams and the chassis adds another 5. The D24 has very little front overhang, making designing the chassis and the location of the various front end components a challenge. I will add the body posts and source the images for making the decals next.

Cheers

Steve

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

That body looks great racer68! Was it printed as shown or did you need to sand/smooth it to get it ready for primer?

Keep us posted on your progress! Thanks for posting!

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Art I just clipped of the supports and took off some printing artifacts. I need to do some grinding to accommodate the mounting posts and the guide then  I’ll give it a light swipe with some sandpaper before priming.

Steve,

Super looking project!

The weight is spot on for a very competitive car.

Very nice Steve.

At 10.5 grams, that body is almost as light as a Thunderslot.  It will be very competitive if you can get the chassis 2mm above the track.  Great progress with your 3 D printer.  I suspect this will be the course that we all take in the not too distant future.  I applaud your perseverance and for showing us the way.

Our next Carrera Panamericana is coming up next week but unfortunately I have a conflict and will not be able to attend. I have however been working on my Lancia D24, making many mistakes but learning a lot. I’ve finally overcome the engineering challenges of fitting a 3D printed chassis in such a small car with a short front overhang. The front axle is independent and uses 2mm grub screws to adjust the ride height. The rear axle has a 1.5 mm offset to lower the C.G. which was the most I could use and still have it run smoothly. I’ve been able to get the ground clearance to just a hair under 2mm and the weight should be under 57 grams with interior, wheel inserts, exhaust, accessories and paint.

The resin body was warped during printing or curing so I had to use a hot water bath to straighten it out. On close inspection of the body the layer lines were  visible and there is either a run in the resin or the primer but some diligent sanding should improve these. I’ve designed but not yet printed a basic decal set and I hope to add decal based headlights and tiny gauges.

I’ve included a few photos showing my progress. Doing everything from scratch has shown me how interconnected everything is and how a small mistake or mismeasurement can seriously degrade a cars performance or stop it running at all.

I hope you all have a Happy Easter

Cheers

Steve

Very nice looking car, Steve.

Looking forward to seeing it race.

Happy Easter!

Viewing 4 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.