Forums Slot Car Paddock Slot Car Resources How To – Build It Adding a Face & Shield to that Helmet

• Creator
    Topic

For Targa V I re-entered my Porsche 908/2 with pilot Gijs van Lennop (red helmet) at the wheel but felt that another racing upgrade was necessary – not to the motor or chassis – but to the pilot’s helmet. The DArt HT70 comes in two pieces – helmet and opaque visor – so I decided to remove the visor and add some facial detail by cutting a cross section of HD05 – enough to fit inside the helmet – which I painted complete with fire resistant balaclava. I sliced off both sides of the original opaque visor, painted them flat black and added them to either side of the visor gap, but before doing so made a template from which to cut the visor. I hate working with thin pieces of brittle transparency and so for the visor I decided to experiment with something much easier to cut and handle…

Using the template I traced and cut out a slightly larger piece from a clear plastic bag (yes – the same bags that all of the DArt parts come in) and placing a very small drop of clear epoxy on either side (where the visor pivots would be) I added the clear plastic visor making sure that it was tight across the face of the helmet as the glue set. After this dried a small drop of silver paint would be added on either side of the visor as visor pivots and to help cover up where the epoxy was applied.

The upgraded visor and helmet performed flawlessly – and more are on my ‘to do’ list for other models. :yes:

Total cost was $3.50 (HT70 $2.50 + HD05 $1 + bag they both come in)…

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Slot Car Paddock Slot Car Resources How To – Build It Adding a Face & Shield to that Helmet