• This topic has 23 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

I found this kit a while back. The body is reasonable. I like the car. I was the kid on the bike in the background when this car was new in 69.

Viewing 21 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

And so the project begins. Another piece of 3/4″ aluminum square tubing from local hardware store. Drilled and reamed holes for bearings. Also drilled the guide keel hole. 

Sketch the lines to cut the aluminum that doesn’t belong. Then off to the band saw we go. 

Chassis roughed out. 

Further detailing to the guide keel area. A new file cleans up the rest of the chassis very quickly. 

Time to test fit the bearings, axles, etc. I had the body painted long ago and only started the chassis today. More building to follow shortly. Thanks for looking. Ken 

Great looking Corvette Ken. It will no doubt be a smooth runner…

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Nice!

I had a major failure when I put a bit too much epoxy between the chassis and motor and epoxy got into the motor. Oops. Popped out the scrap motor and set the car aside until a new motor arrived. Now everyone knows why the build stopped. Something to do with a senior moment. The new Scalex 18k motor has been glued in place and spins nicely. I hope to have this car ready to run for “Tuning night at the Ring” this Monday. The idea of tuning night is a great idea! Ken

Test car number 2 for tonight. Total weight so far is 74-grams.

Chassis.

I could have lowered the body a bit more, but prefer a somewhat realistic stance. Chassis is very close to the track on this one.

Ken

This is a fun car to drive. Rarely can I relax while pushing a car.

Weight was added to bring the car up to 80-grams. Makes a world of difference.

Ken

I noted two Corvettes on the Targa Florio entry list that never made it. Rules are it only had to be registered to enter to race in S32. I really wanted to make one or both of these cars, but the rules say you need details. I combed the internet for any details. But because both cars never made it. There are zero records of them anywhere other than the cars were numbers 76, and 37 respectively, and the main driver was Anatoly Arutunoff. After 4-days of wasting time. The only thing I could find was a phone number through the yellow pages for an A. Arutunoff in USA. So one Sunday night I was brave enough to call his number and this is what I found out. Toly Arutunoff is a really nice guy! We talked for 45-minutes about the details of both his Corvettes. Here are the details of his cars.

1970 – 327 ci. C3-Corvette #76. All white. The car was caught in a stike dispute that happened at General Motors. It was a week too late to make it on the boat to Italy. This thread is in tribute to his first car.

1971 – 427 ci. ZL1 – all aluminum block and aluminum heads. Corvette #37. All white with a black hood. The car made it to the race, but was disqualified due to a technicality of the roll bar. One that could have been rectified had an Italian engineer signed off on the roll bar prior to the race.

Here are a few photos of Anatoly Arutunoff’s 1970 Corvette Stingray #76.

Thank you for looking.

Ken

Looks great! Too bad no black hood!

There is a black hood. It’s on the unlimited class car.

I wanted to keep close to the facts on both Anatoly’s cars. His first one was a small-block 327 (Scalex). His second Corvette with the black hood, was a big-block powered all aluminum 427. The second white Corvette with the black hood will get a Fox-10 motor. Most likely my first aluminum sidewinder. It’s under construction.

Ken

Great job on the cars!! :good:

An even better job getting the history. Good for you!! Great story! :yahoo:

Thanks for sharing it!! B-)

Thank you very kindly. One of my previous careers was an automotive machinist building race car engines at Engineered Racing Services back in the early 80’s. Here’s a bit of info on engine specs.

The 427 cubic inch ZL1 engine actually had over 500 bhp — making it likely the most powerful engine Chevy ever offered to the public. Being an all aluminum engine, it weighed just 500 pounds — about the same as Chevy’s 327-cid V-8.

In 1971 Anatoly Arutunoff was attempting dominate the field of European cars with a Corvette Stingray that had incredible horsepower to weight ratio. His engine was well beyond street car specs. If the street version of that engine was already above 500hp. How much did Toly really have?  600hp? Too bad we didn’t get to see the results of that one.

Ken

Apparently there were very, very,very few of these motors produced. :whistle: Some time ago I was lucky enough to stand beside one of these ‘special’ all alloy motors when it fired up in a COPO Camaro. To describe it as very mean would be a big understatement. :wacko: Too bad he wasn’t able to race it!!

Mr. Arutunoff will be very happy to see the cars you are doing. :rose:

Great looking car Ken.

Anonymous

looks good

I see small refinements on your chassis.  It will be a sweet ride with the Scalextric motor.

Looking good Ken!

Thank you for your kind words gentlemen.

The car now has a few sponsors. It’s absolutely fun to drive!

I’m hoping Mr. Arutunoff would approve.

Ken

The Sponsor Monster passed by again.

Viewing 21 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.