• This topic has 9 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

The Hot Rod Garage was open for business today.

I need to solder a pinion gear. Then the motor can be glued in place and wired.

It took a lot of extra sanding to get the chassis to fit the back of the body. I had to install the bearings on the inside because the flanges were in the way.

I hope to have it running later today sometime. Very little room for the rear body post so it had to be drilled offset. Everything is a super tight fit at the back of the car. But it all fits.

Ken

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

Please excuse the finish on the inside of the tires. They’re going back on the truer to get cleaned up before final assembly.

Ken

It took more work than anticipated. But I think it’s ready to run.

Ken

Here are some detailed photos. This is the worst view of the car exposing the chassis. I’m not sure how the original plastic chassis fit but the crown is almost touching the inside of the body. The body post is so close to everything that it had to be carved to let the set-screw pass for the crown to rotate. NUTS!  :wacko:

Nobody’s eye should be that close to the back end of the car. This is how the car will look at the races.

Tight fit is an understatement.

I was going to leave the nose grill out. But it’s a unique BRM part, so in it went. Looks kind of cool now that it’s in.

A friend asked why I didn’t use the white background on the numbers. Slot cars are generally the only BRM’s with white backing behind the numbers. The real car rarely had them. Looks a bit more rough and race ready to me this way.

The aluminum chassis is evolving. Thanks for looking. I hope this inspires others to do the same.

Ken

Anonymous

Nice job Ken

The aluminium chassis is evolving very well and at a rapid pace.  Are you getting any sleep at all lately?

Thanks for showing us the close up of the cars rear… if it runs as well as the Tudor, we may not get a chance to see it this close again…

Cheers!

Thank you kindly JMS. What is this sleep thing you speak of?

The Tudor flew off the track like crazy at first. I added weight and the handling got much better. Then I remember a gentlemen showing up at Art’s vendor table at a model show. He bought all the urethane body washers Art had. Like 25 bags worth. That got me to thinking. So I added the urethane body washers to the Tudor, and the rest of the story is listed in the race results.

I bought an extra set of exhaust manifolds that twist straight back. But the stackpipe deserves it’s decoration. The car has body float just like the Tudor, and lead 3-layers thick jammed into the chassis. It still only weighs 65-grams. I can’t wait to test it.

Ken

Looks great Ken – well done! I love the colour and numbering!

I take pictures from the front, back, and sides of every model eligible – pretty much at track height – so those sorts of things will become very obvious.

Applying a generic chassis to every sort of model is very hard to do.

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

For two points… can anyone spot the long overdue update?

Update of wheel inserts.   Nice model Ken.

Wow Dave! You’re fast! :good:

I’ve had enough of those gold thingies. A newbie mistake if ever…

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.