• This topic has 31 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Avatar photoKen.
  • Creator
    Topic

The first time I laid eyes on Art’s Ferrari 312P my brain said “I want that!”. Based on using 3/4″ aluminum square tubing. I started to rough out a chassis for bearings. Wasn’t sure how to attach the body.

Viewing 30 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

The Fox-10 was wider than the slimline slow motor so I had to remove some of the material from the channel to make it fit

Motor fits nicely now. Body post holes have been located and drilled.

Wired and ready to run. Epoxy holds the motor in place.

Body/chassis bottom view.

It weighs 87 grams without the window or interior. 

Chassis sits 2.5 mm above the tech block. Any lower and the body screws become a danger. It’s time for paint. More pics to come when it’s painted.

My platform for this build is Art’s Lola T70 MkII. The Lola has a gear ratio of 3.27. This is 3.33 with a 9/30 pinion to crown. I feel sorry for the crown gear. It’s going to take a serious beating behind the Fox-10. Thanks for looking. Ken.

Looks like this may be another ‘weapon’ in the making!!

Thanks Mike.

The body is very light at only 17-grams. I thought this would end up a light car. That means the bare chassis weighs 70-grams! I know the aluminum isn’t the culprit. A rear wheel fell off the workbench after truing the tire. I should have suspected something when it left a dent in the floor.

While the BWA-450 wheels look amazing on the rear and very close to the scale of the real car. I may not have needed to go that wide for a slot car. The big wheels and tires may only hold the car back in a drag race. I don’t think the Fox-10 will spin these tires. I have a feeling the rear tires won’t slide easily. The car may stick or just roll over. Art made an adjustment to the Lola tires for me and the car performed twice as good as it did 5-minutes earlier. I have much to learn about tire/wheel science yet.

I had no idea how the Tudor would run until it touched the track. I have no clue how this car will perform. Not sure what weapon this will be other than a very heavy rock. I still need to add weight to the front end. Time will tell.

I also need to choose a colour. Anything but red. My humble apologies to Enzo.

Ken

Some suggested yellow would look sweet. It’s far from perfect. The car just needs to remain in motion.

A different view.

Other side. 

Here’s the extent of orange-peel because I laid the paint on a touch too thick. Oh well… Such is life. Ken

Here’s a photo of where the body mold line used to be. Easy to sand out. Nice body kit to build! Thanks Art. Ken.

Great looking model Ken! Someone’s been very busy! BTW those wheels look the part – I wouldn’t use anything narrower for that racer. Sweeeeeeet!!!

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Nice job so far Ken!

Thank you for the kind words gentlemen. Macro camera settings and interior lights are not a paint job’s best friend. This looks a bit better. Ken

Number 51 is born. The decals are a pain in the neck.

Windows and headlight lenses are about to go in. Then interior, driver, and a little flat black paint on those rear louvers. That’s tonights homework.

Rear orange dot tires will be ready to true tomorrow.

My Ford Tudor had to be debugged quite a bit before it ran properly. The Tudor lost a bunch of races before it started improving. I would be foolish to expect this car to be any different. My Slot-It GT40 is also ready for Saturday.

Ken

Number 51

Looking good Ken!

It’s almost 100% done. Just a few more details. I’m not fond of hand painting semi-gloss black. I need more practise. I nearly ruined the paint on this one.

The gas caps are very close to the body and slightly recessed. Hard to use the Molotow pen without making a mess. I started taping around the louvers until the decal lifted. Then switched to hand painting the black. Big mistake. Paint the louvers first next time. This will be my first and last time hand painting louvers.

Fun to paint the black around the tail lights. The red brake lights and amber turn signals would not pop as nice had I blacked out the lenses. Nothing more fun than having to paint with a tooth-pick. That takes more patience than a good ketchup.

The shape of this car is stunning. It was a fun car to build. I hope I can get it to perform as good as it looks.

Ken

Front grills look better in black. I hope to install none-functioning head-lights at some point. It’s just about ready to race. The driver’s paint is drying.

Looks really good Ken. There are a few tricks you can use to paint those details after the rest of the model is painted – without masking anything. Before you joined our group we had a workshop on doing them. It is much easier to demonstrate but regardless we’ll go over some of them together when I see you later tonight… you did a fine job!

Remind me to give you a pair of Ferrari logo decals (from Pattos)…

Are you planning to change those wheel inserts to a 5 spoke (in black still)?

I am hunting for nicer Slot-It inserts. I would prefer the original 5-spokes in gold. Hard to find something that fits 15’s front and 17’s rear. The only thing I’ve found in gold so far from Slot-It is BBS style wheels.

I might try and modify the original inserts I have for the car.

I appreciate the logo’s. Thanks a million!

Ken

Glad you did such a great job on those tail lights as I fear that’s the only view I will get of that car tonight!!

Will be fun :scratch: to see on the track tonight!!

Thank you Bill for noticing the edges on the rear tire profile. Art barely even touched the edges of the tires with 2000 grit sand paper and the Ferrari was half a second faster per lap, and become a pleasure to drive. I can’t believe the difference.

Tire profiling lesson 101-A for beginners is in the history books. Homework for tonight: Build a tire cleaning/profiling block.

Thanks a million to Art and Bill for helping me debug this car!

Ken

I found some extra Ferrari decals. It’s about time this car had a sponsor or two.

This car handles like crap. I blame the builder. Myself. Oh well… It’s never too late to try and improve it. The Ferrari 312 is a cool looking car.

In preparation for the coming race. I installed additional urethane washers under the screws to the body mounts. I played with weight location. I also installed a different set of wheels, tires, and inserts. Monster BWA-460 wheels on the rear. The new inserts should make a few Ferrari fans a little happier.

Viewing 30 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.