Forums Slot Car Paddock Slot Car Resources Historical 1:1 Mosport Can Am 1973 A friend's pics

• Creator
    Topic

Gentlemen

As I may have told some of you a close friend very graciously gave me his father’s pictures (who passed away) from Mosport Can Am race weekend in 1973.

Ron Northcott (the photographer) was quite skilled and managed to capture Jody Sheckter’s infamous spin which lost him the race from the lead at the start of lap 30. Mark Donohue who led the early running also had car issues and dropped back to finish mid pack. In one of the photos Donohue’s car shows signs of damage to the front end which might indicate an incident involving another car or the barrier perhaps?

I have never seen footage or pictures on the web.

of the Sheckter incident so this could very well be the first time it has been documented in pics online

Well I finally got round to scanning them and thought I would share.

Porsche 914 Parade lap…lucky kid in the front car could it be our friend and fellow racer Johnny B?

Lap1 Turn 1 Donohue #6 leads from Sheckter #0, Follmer #16, Kemp #23 (race winner) , John Cordts #9 and Haywood in the #59 Brumos

Lap 1

Lap 2? or later… Same order but a little more settled in

Further back in the field…Bob Nagel Lola, Scooter Patrick #8 and Shadow DN2 of Jackie Oliver, Agor #13 and Durst in the #3 Vasek Polak sister car to Sheckter’s

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Some mid race beauty shots…

The Man! Mark Donohue’s 917/30’s nose is lifted at an awkward angle indicating some sort of incident.. or perhaps an unfair advantage? I think not.

Pete Sherman Mclaren M8F

Sheckter #0 Damon Hill wasn’t first to use #0 on a car

I Wonder who’s driving this McLaren M8C?

If you haven’t looked it up already … driver of the #15 car is William Wonder. I’ll have to do some research on him as I had never heard of him til now.

The Sheckter spin….race reports I have read say he blew a tire (better than a seal I guess) which the pictures seem to support.

Left rear is definitely deflated here:

Headed for the armco. Some damage to the front unless he impacted and spun around?

Seems to straighten it out from the spin

Comes to rest in a cloud of dust. Wish our marshals were this quick ;^)

As the dust settles Jody legs it for inside of turn 2 and the pits/paddock beyond.

That’s his shadow in the upper left..not Jackie Oliver’s. Yuk yuk yuk

Jody made the crossing safely you’ll be happy to see.

After the race the car is recovered…note the mechanic? placing the blown tire and rim on the Vasek Polak Porsche slant bed hauler. Would make a great addition as trackside vehicle in 1/32 scale … anyone?

Reverse angle from down on the track

Hey you kids get out of that jello tree! Is that KK in the background wearing the Canadian flag weed T?

That’s a fabulous story in B&W! Great sleuthing F1nutz! Thanks for sharing it here! I’ll be keeping my eye out for one of those north American styled transporters too… 😉

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

I thought you’d like that!

It looks like a GM cab with a custom box. I have an Eldon? 1/32 pickup I may try to convert but it may be a Ford.

Here’s a pic of it in modern times. Now owned by Bruce Canepa.

MiAMiA

Great shots. Thanks for posting. Looks like the CRCA folks were heading for cover as he hit the Armco right in front of them!! New uniforms for them!!

Thanks for sharing Bill, great photos, and thanks for the chuckles too. BTW, There was a fellow who cast haulers, I had some communication a few years back. I believe he said the mold required work, but he was considering…I kind of forgot about it.

http://rmsresins.com/index.html

It would be nice if he reissued them

If someone has a model kit with vintage cab like this one (complete with windscreen & detailed bits) I think I can fabricate the back half…

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Slot Car Paddock Slot Car Resources Historical 1:1 Mosport Can Am 1973 A friend's pics