• Creator
    Topic

This build was inspired by DB’s white XK120. He also gave me the body. Thanks Dave!

I was looking to build another Carrera Panamericana car. I found a gentleman by the name of Frank Hern that drove an XK120 in the 1952 race. He did not finish due to an accident. It’s my least favorite colour. But “British Racing Green” is extemely accurate for the times of the Carrera Panamericana. :wacko:

I love the spats!

D’Art blue dot tires on old CB wheels. Use what you got!

Viewing 12 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

The chassis is complete. It has a slow BWMS050 slim line motor with 10×23 gear ratio. No blistering speeds or anything.

I didn’t get headlights or windhield for this car so I had to improvise. I found a full set of glass for a Bentley Blower. The headlights and mini windshields were perfect.

I only installed the driver’s side wind screen. That way I have a spare. Passenger side wind screen was optional.

It needs Carrera Panamericana detailing and some numbers (#2). Thanks for looking.

The Carrera Panamericana idea just hit a wall. How I didn’t find better proof of Frank Hern’s car before I painted it eludes me.

I’m not sure how this 1/43 replica was authenticated since no one else has it. The car looks like a 5-year old child decorated it with the same decal in many places. But I’m not about to argue. The Carrera Panamericana XK120 is not happening (not mine anyways).

Looks like I just added another slow sportscar to my fleet.

Here’s an interesting question I never thought of until now. A 1949 Ford Tudor can race as a Hot Rod. Can a 1948 Jaquar XK120 also count as a Hot Rod if it fits within the legal parameters for the Hot Rod class?

Slot cars between the years of 1941 and 1948 are a bit more rare than the years that came before and after. Something to do with WW2. My dad had a 1946 Buick Super straight-8. The body ID plate said 1941 because the parts were actually stored until after the war ended. Then assembled and offered to the public as “The New 1946 Buick!”. Strange stuff went on back then.

I welcome some input about the possibility of a British racing green 1948 Jaguar Hot Rod, and thank you kindly in advance.

Regarding the question posed, and input sought: The Jaguar XK120 is one of the best defining examples of a true Sports Car; it would not qualify as an example of any Hot Rod, in my humble opinion.

Thanks Felix. Point taken.

I don’t see anything wrong with this as a Sports Car, Ken.  Nice colour, (who could argue with BRG?); beautifully executed paintwork and detailing; just add three white rondels and you’re done. Only one simple adjustment needed; this poor pilot is going to have a lot of crashes! Give him a booster seat so he can see over the dashboard and bonnet!  (A piece of heavy duty double-sided cushion tape should do the job.)

Thank you very kindly Felix. Your booster seat idea made me laugh. 🙂

I remember Art describing that a few locals at the Carrera Panamericana would throw rocks at drivers that weren’t from Mexico. I also remember getting a bug in the face at 70mph on a motorcycle, and that really hurt. So I looked at the car from the very front to make sure the driver’s goggles were centered in the windshield. I am imagining the car in motion at 100mph in Mexico on a hot summer day with big bumble bees flying around, rocks being thrown (even if only coming from other cars), etc… I would probably hunker down in the seat if I were driving 100mph with an open top and only half a small windshield.

I have other drivers that are taller. But I prefer the guy who’s goggles are lined up with the windshield.

OK, Ken.  I was looking at your sideview photo; it shows the pilot’s actual line of site.                                         (You’ll find that even a horizontal line through his goggles hits the top of the steering wheel and dashboard. Use the front of the googles strap line as reference since his head is tilted up slightly. In any case, no way to see road ahead.)    But enough on this; good job on the car anyway.

Anonymous

Nice job Ken :good: …………must agree with the other folks who have indicated that your pilot may be a bit “short” …………

Cheers

Chris Walker

Thank you Chris.

Yes the driver is low because I wanted him that way. None of the pictures above portray the road conditions of the half-finished highway to Mexico in 1954. It was not a nicely paved track as seen in the photos.

At a certain point we need to sit back and ask who we build our cars for? I like my car the way I built it. Low driver and all. It’s staying that way.

If I were driving that car at 100mph in Mexico back in 1954, I would be sitting low in the seat to keep the bugs and rocks out of my teeth. I have a feeling you would too after the first bumble bee nailed you in the face. No such thing as a full face helmet at that time.

Cheers,

Ken

Ask Helmut Marko… an Austrian and one of the drivers in ‘Speed Merchants’ whose promising racing career was cut short when he lost an eye in a Grand Prix…

The Happy Canadian Scale Modeler!

I humbly apologize that this started a debate that distracted from the build. A further explanation might help.

It was around 3am when I completed this car. The last thing to install was the driver. I like the way my Auto Union driver looks through the windshield of his car and tried to emulate the same thing with this car. When the driver was in the car. I looked across the hood and yelled “Hey Watson. Can you see okay?” He yelled back “I’m good”. I then started to sing a few rounds of “They’re coming to take me away” but quickly went to bed before those nice young men in their clean white coats showed up.

It’s just a slot car. I’m going to have fun with it.

Thanks for looking.

Com-on guys, now this has gotten ridiculous! Don’t talk about bugs and rocks and losing an eye. I’m sure that Helmut Marko, and this driver, would lose a lot more than just an eye if he can’t even see any of the road in front of his car. A driver “sitting low” and a driver unable to see the road ahead, are two different things altogether. (When you are looking at the driver’s goggles from your vantage point above the hood, you are already above his horizontal line of sight.) This pilot is more than a bit short.

Just look at his line of sight. He doesn’t even have a clear view of his own horizontal, let alone anything below it. He has a good view of the sky.

(This is the viewing height you need to see the road ahead in an XK120.  Photo from S32 “La Carrera Panamericana V”. )

Now, Ken, this is your car, and you can build it the way you want; no one is going to force you to change it. If you don’t want the pilot able to see the road ahead, that’s up to you. If that then becomes the acceptable standard for this club, then so be it. But let’s not bring in bugs, rocks and losing an eye into the argument, just to pretend that this pilot can see the road ahead. Anyone else looking at this forum with fresh eyes would think ‘what are these guys arguing about, that driver can’t see a damn past his dashboard!’   Facts is facts!  You can’t twist the truth / it knows no regulation /  just causing too much frustration!

Viewing 12 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.